What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
I recently planted several species of Drosera gemmae, do they sprout and begin growth right away or do they hang out for a while like the Drosera seeds.  They were bright green when I planted them and now they're either brown or I can't see most of them on the soil any more, did they rot? or turn color?  A couple look like they're unrolling into little plants but not many.

I'm 'pretty' sure that when gemmae go brown, it's because they are no longer viable. But as for the ones you can't see, don't give up hope. They may simply have been covered by the soil when you watered them.

Generally, it seems to me that gemmae start forming plants fairly quickly, with noticeable growth after 2-3 weeks. (I don't check mine daily though:) But I wouldn't give up altogether for a couple of months on the ones that I'm waiting for.

Good luck!

Chris

Possibly your gemmae dehydrated. You could try spraying them lightly daily to simulate the rains that happen this time of year in habitat.

If you need more to experiment with, please feel free to contact me.

wow! a couple of months! mine "sprouted" after one week!
smile.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

They are quick and they are very dependable. I got 100% germination from d.ericsonae X pullchella after only 5 days. They are pretty easy to get started.

Cole

Back