What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GA3/Gibberellic Acid

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    seeds

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I will be giving some seeds a try here in a bit and I would like to try using this in hopes of getting good germination.

Unfortunatly I have no clue how to get my hands on it. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Pyro

Pyro, Insist on getting the powder not the solution. Gibberelin is an organic acid and is bio degradable. It has a very short life span when in a solution so you would have to treat your seeds at once. If you have the powder you can treat much smaller batches of seed at your leasure and if you keep it refrigerated you can keep it until the follwing year. Also, if you need to treat some seeds a few weeks later you can freeze the solution once and re-use it. Afyter this it loses its potency! I have had GREAT succsess using Gibberelic acid and have managed to germinate
D. Regia
Byblis Gigantea
D. Villosa
And many other seeds wich I would normaly have problems germimnating. I have never had any joy using it on Utric seeds however. You will have to let me know how you get on.

in my opinion the influence of GA3 is over-estimated !

the correct light (& daylength !) and temperature condition (including the day/night temp-shift) is much more important.

Drosera regia germinates very easy without any treatment if you have fresh seed
(like Dionaea. Dr. regia seems to be more familar with Dionaea than with all other Drosera !)

I never tried Dr. villosa
(I don't know if the "true" Drosera villosa is in cultivation. All(?) of the Drosera "villosa" seem to be Dr. graomogolensis (red) or Dr.ascendens (green) ).
This is what I heard from some experts.

Byblis gigantea. Ok, Here I tried GA3, too.
But seed collected from nature will also germinate without GA3.
The problem is, that plants grown from seed treated with GA3 will only produce seed, which will NEED GA3 to germinate.

Last year I even had success germinating some Roridula dentata without GA3 !!!

Martin

i got a question and it is stupid but what is germination? a friend at school said that you take the seeds and put em in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag or something and wait till it grows a leafe and then plant it

(unfortunatly he was talkin about doin it with his marijuana plant) :eek:
anyway, his fault if he gets caught =P

Stephano,

Germination is just a really fancy way of saying the seed has sprouted.

Pyro

Stefano1,

Germination is basically what is also commonly called sprouting... when a seed begins the process of growing.

Martin... Are you seriouis about your last comment, that plants grown from seed treated with Ga3 will produce seed that can only be germinated using Ga3?? I have never heard that... I may be using Ga3 less in the future in that case.

Noah

Oops, I just repeated what Pyro had said.... he must have posted that while I was typing away on my reply
smile.gif

Oh well.

Now that I finally have time for a good long reply, here goes.

Martin,

Thank you for your insight and your advice. I do not plant on using GA3 on all the seeds I am about to recieve. My plan is to use GA3 on a few, smokewater on a few and stuff a few in my heating vent for a month. My reason for anting to use it is that I do not know the exact sratification requirements for some of the seeds I am getting and no one else seem to know either. Being the scientist I am I figure that and experiment is in order.

Richard,

I will be sure and inform the forum of any "discoveries" I might find with Utrics treatment.

Noah

Thanks again for the link and I just have faster fingers than you.

Pyro

Back