What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G. Hispulda

• Thread starter timbudtwo
  • Start date

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
I got a g. Hispulda from pyro yesterday and im currently growing them in a container of waterlogged sphagnum, no holes. Is this good?

Here you go Tim:

How to Grow Genlisea:

Media:
I grow mine in straight LF sphag with a small amount of peat (maybe 5-10%) and have recently been experimenting with a mix of equal parts milled sphag:peat:sand top-dressed with a thin layer of sphag that seems to work well.

Pots:
I find that the majority of species grow best in drained pots using a deep tray and every 1-3 days suck the water out of the tray using a turkey baster and squirt it around the plant to drain through the pot.
If you decide on an un-drained pots keep the water level anywhere between even with the media and 2 cm above the media
The plants themselves may be small but the traps can grow quite deep and I recommend at least a 4" pot, ideally 5-6"

Light:
These plants are similar to terrestrial Utrics and can be grown under the same conditions; half to full sun or 6-8” from fluorescents.

Temperature:
Sub-tropical/tropical conditions. Can take down to 50 and up to 100 for short periods. Ideal temp is 70-80.

Humidity:
As the pots should be kept constantly wet they will provide sufficient air moisture.

Dormancy:
Genlisea seem to have a semi dormant period during winter triggered by the reduced photoperiod. At this time growth slows and leaf size is reduced. During this time I only top water drained pots about every 10 days and keep the water level in the tray at about ½” For un-drained pots I allow the media to remain only damp.

Propagation:
These plants are propagated most easily via cuttings. Traps and leaves both work well as do the flower scapes. Lay these on milled sphag that is just damp (submerge some sphag in water and then squeeze out the excess) and keep under the same conditions as the parent plant. Seeds also work but most be sown rapidly as they have very short viability.

Species:

G. hispidula

This species seems to do best in undrained pots grown as an amphibious plant. The leaves are more succulent in nature than other species I have grown and I suspect that this plant might be able to survive very brief dry periods (though I have never tried this.) The flowers are white to light pink and have a deep magenta throat though this is often hidden by the overhanging upper corolla. These species is easily propagated by leaf cuttings as well as by using old flower stalks. Though it is an annual in habitat it grows as a perennial in cultivation.

Pyro, your my hero! lol, im, kidding...

Back