What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus

Recently checking up on my U. Tricolor, I noticed some type of fungus clogging up the leaves of the plant. Taking a tweezer as I pulled away the fungus from the plant and I thought it was over. Looking at the plant a couple of days later, the fungus was back. What can I do to battle this fungus?

Might not be a fungus. I find that algae almost always springs up in my Utric pots. I usually just pull it out every time I find it, it is tedious but it gets the job done. I have heard of some growers spraying with a dilute solution of rubbing alcohol but I imagine this would hurt thr plant as well. I think Tamlin mentioned once that he will brew a cup of tea wait for it to cool, pour that into the pot let it sit a while, pour it out and replace with clean water (I would get confirmation from him on that first though.)

If it is algae, then it is something I've been struggling with for a while now. Some of the smaller species can really be hurt by it. My current scheme is to grow it in a layer of sand and spray it every so often with water. I have a few pots that I tried this with that no longer need spraying, they seem to have stabilized on their own.

Dodec,

Is that a layer of sand over standard media or just growing the plant in straight sand?

Pyro

U. Tricolor is an amphibious species, so to avoid algae/fungus problems, try growing it with the water level 1 inch above the surface of the soil. Just allow it to fluctuate occasionaly and the fungus shouldn't cause you any more trouble!

Richard UK, thanks for the help..

I used the tea method with an aquatic, with some success, but I can't say if it is always reliable. I think the fungus could be destroyed (if it is fungus it is white) by growing the plant submerged for a week or so. This won't help with algae however. I find that algae is best discouraged by the use of pure loose peat as a medium, without sand. Sand always seems to support algae for some reason, and it should always be washed when used with utrics. Make sure if you use the peat that it is very loose and fluffy, not compact so the stolons can easily penetrate. I am leaning towards pure dead sphagnum as a medium, as the naturally low Ph discourages algae. Doadec's method is good if the problem arises: spraying removes the micronutrients that support the algae, and eventually a balance is reached where the algae no longer proliferates. With aquatic species, it is
more difficult, and I have found that usually the only thing to do is to make a new aquarium with clean water, transplant the utric, and then keep the whole in lower light. Man, I hate algae!

In my own experience I have found that potting medium has very little to do with algae growth. I have tried quite a few strategies and sometimes it grows and sometimes it doesn't, but I have never been able to connect it with any variable. Watering from above with a spray bottle is the closest I've come to controlling algae growth.

What if you watered it with some REALLY strong peat tea?

Back