What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnat Pest Control

Fungus gnats help with feeding my carnivorous plants, but their larvae have become a problem in one bowl. Can carnivorous plants handle cinnamon in their soil? I have read that it helps control fungus gnats when added to the soil surface.

Yes, I have read about various chemical, bacterial, and layering of sand treatments... I would rather avoid the first two and apply the last after I get this infestation under control. Any other non-chemical ideas that are safe for carnivorous plants are welcome.

I'm about to try nematodes. Will report any findings here.

Very glad this thread came up! I'm also battling fungus gnats but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of thing. There can not be a single gnat! I alcohol spray them in mid air when I see one & also spray topsoil daily to keep then out. I've already repotted every infected plant but they're still hanging around the area. This is only on indoor houseplants b/c luckily they haven't gotten into my CP terrarium that I know of. I'm still going to flush everything with diluted neem oil monthly to keep the buggers out & I'll also post results. They may feed your plants but they do much more harm than good. I notice growth at a stand still while soil is infected with these even on fast growing houseplants.

yellow sticky traps work in enclosed areas

The nematodes carry a insect pathogenic bacterial which is what kills the insect. So why not cut out the middle man and just use bacteria to begin with? Bti is easily found (Mosquito Dunks) easy to apply and has a very long shelf life. It is also a bit more specific than the nematodes - the nematode products boast it is effective on over 200-230 different pests.

The flea killing nematodes sold at Home Depot and Lowe's should work on fungus gnats. Check to see what species of worm is in the products.

The recommended non-biological or non-chemical control of fungus gnats is to let the first inch or two of soil to dry out for a few days to a week. Not practical with most Carnivorous Plants.

A sand mulch of a minimum of 1 centimeter thick will prevent the females from laying eggs into the soil. It should be applied when there is no infestation present.

Utrics work wonders! Fungus gnat larvae become food and don't usually make it to adulthood. And you have the bonus of extra CPs, so there's that.

Neem oil has not worked for me in the past, even at full strength (I tried it on a couple non-cps).

Gnatrol--which is Bt--is the best way out there to deal with these guys.

Darn! I'll have to get some of some dunks or gnatrol then, thanks.

.......... It is also a bit more specific than the nematodes - the nematode products boast it is effective on over 200-230 different pests...............................

Bullets are effective on thousands of species, they're still pretty deadly :wave:

Back