What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicide/terrarium light level questions

Hi,

I have just obtained my first few VFTs and have built them a small terrarium out of an aquarium, compact fluorescent lights, timer etc as an initial foray into CPs. I have read the FAQ at www.sarracenia.com but still have a couple of questions.

(1) Is powdered sulphur useful as a fungicide with VFTs? If not, what do you guys recommend? (I have seen discussion about cinnamon & cornstarch but, from what I can understand, the jury seems to be out as to how useful it is)

(2) Since putting my VFTs in the terrarium the (green) traps have turned quite red inside which means, I hope, that the light level is appropriate. Is it possible to give these little guys too much light? If so, what should I watch out for?

please pardon my ignorance!

Malcolm

My favorite fungicide is high levels of light with a component of UV. In nature VFTs are often found in full sun. With artificial light, as long as the plants don't get too hot, I can't expect that they would have too much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Malcolm @ Jan. 10 2005,6:57)]Is powdered sulphur useful as a fungicide with VFTs? If not, what do you guys recommend? ... Since putting my VFTs in the terrarium the (green) traps have turned quite red inside ...
I expect that you do not need to treat your VFTs with a fungicide. From your description, they seem to be doing very well. So long as you provide good lighting and avoid stagnant air and water, your plants should be happy without applying chemicals. Winter is usually the time when VFTs are going through their needed dormancy. Since you just got your plants and they are in a terrarium, they will probably miss a dormant period this year, which should be OK for one year. However, next fall you should provide a dormant period, otherwise, the plants will become weaker and weaker.

Thanks for the helpful comments! I foolishly forgot to mention that I am in Palmerston North, New Zealand and so it is mid summer down here (although looking out the window you wouldn't know it, sigh...)

I was intending to put them into dormancy when winter comes along because they look to be fairly mature plants (8-10 traps each, some over 1"). Comparing the average Wilmigton NC temperatures with my own locality they seem remarkably similar (although NC is somewhat warmer in summer). I get chilly winters with occasional light frosts (-1C to -4C, 30F to 25F). I thought I might (after gradually reducing the photoperiod during autumn) put the whole terrarium outside, on a sun facing deck for the dormant period. That way they would be protected from the ground frost but still get chilly at night and get some sun. Please let me know if this is a dumb idea,

thanks for your help,
Malcolm

Palmerston North is remarkably similar to coastal northern California. Even the landscape looks like the area around San Francisco. What you propose sounds reasonable. Particularly the gradual change in photoperiod and temperature.

I grow my VFTs outdoors in northern California all year long. They love it.
VFTbog355.JPG

VFTbog006.jpg

Those are great CP beds/bogs, BobZ! I live in mid-Georgia and would love to do something like that in my yard. How are you watering?

The bed/bog is 18-inches deep, filled with Canadian sphagnum peat, and dries out slowly. Where I live, we get over 40 inches of rain between November and May, so supplemental watering in winter is not needed. However, it seldom rains here between May and September (maybe 1-inch total), so every week or so I turn on the hose and fill the bog to overflowing with well water. My well water is OK for CPs and I have used it for decades with no problem.

That's great. Unfortunately we don't get near that much rain here in GA, even in winter, and I don't have a well. I guess I need to start collecting rain water and/or get an RO system.

You said the bed/bog is 18" deep and filled with Canadian sphagnum peat. Are there any other additives (perlite, sand) and did you line it with anything (plastic, etc) to slow water loss? Also, do you mind listing the CPs you grow in the bog?

Back