What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun in the sun, again!

Well it was a very nice sunny day on Friday so me and a friend (Kyrill) went in search of a form of U. dichotoma that Kyrill had seen growing and flowering as a suspended aquatic. We had also had a tip-off that U. australis was growing in the area.

After a very long (over 2 hour) drive we finaly arived in the area we were to search. The first water hole we found had a few dried D. auriculata remains scattered around. The interesting thing with these is that the plants had multiple stems from the base with a number of plant having 3 stems. This is something that I have very rarely seen in the past. While I was examining these plants I heared a very excited Kyrill, who had just found some red U. australis. At this point we grabbed the camera only to realise there was no memory, it was over two hours away sitting next to the battery charger...

We drove to another water hole where Kyrill had seen the U. dichotoma growing. He ran off into the dense reeds, and I heared a " **** it's dry!". After crashing through stands of dry reeds we finaly found a few damp patches where we found some U. dichotoma growing. There were a few scapes still open and a number of seed pods around. The flowers looked like typical dichotoma but the stems looked thicker than normal. I assume this is an adaptation to growing in 3 feet of water.

All in all a good days work that turned up three new forms of plants that I had not seen before. Even if we (Kyrill!!) did forget the memory for the camera.

George

And just to show I wasnt makeing it all up here are a couple of pics of what we found.

These are seeds from the U. dichotoma
EnfieldUtricseed.jpg

This is a blader from the U. australis
EnfieldAustralistrap.jpg

It aint much but its all I've got  
sad.gif

George

So you took photo's with your brains, at least you were THERE brother George and not living vicariously like I am through the photos you and Sean provide. My my, U. dichotoma is proving more variable than I could have inagined. Its a wonder Taylor didn't end up in a nice quiet room with padded walls, hey? I don't know if Sean mentioned it, but Robert Gibson likewise confirmed that he has seen the tuberous form of U. dichotoma. I will try to get locality data for you, maybe it will prove to be within reach.

Hi Tamlin,

I have been told by a friend in Europe who has had personal communications with Robert that the tuberous U. dichotoma he has found is located around the inland town of Dubbo. The area is near where Robert is/was working.

Unfortunately it is a little far for George and I to reach. It would require a full days driving to get there, about 1000 kms away.

George, where is this location you visited? Is it the spot near Ballarat you told me about a while ago? Judging by the colour of the bladders, the U. australis looks as though it is a beautifully coloured plant.

Sean.

Sean it is the spot, it is at Enfield. The Utric australis is quite a strong red, unfortunatly it is the end of the season and we found quite a few old plants and turions. The plants had a lot of algae and detritus on them so looked a little sad.

Thanks for that info Tamlin, but Dubbo is a little bit to far for a quick look
sad.gif

George

Back