What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun and useful map: Climate Analogues of Australia

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
I don't know if this has been posted yet. I ran across it a couple years ago, and it caught my attention because I live in one of the cities mapped onto Australia.

Basically, it's a map of which other parts of the world have very similar temperatures (not necessarily rainfall patterns and amounts) to specific cities and regions of Australia.

I'm in Newark, CA, a small city which is completely surrounded by Fremont, CA. So Fremont is a correct location for where I live. Fremont is listed as having nearly identical temperatures to Melbourne, Australia. I was actually already aware of that. Porto, Portugal is another city with equivalent temperatures. I did a comparison month by month of Fremont and Melbourne: the average temperatures (shifted by 6 months) and averaged over 12 months differ by only 0.8 degrees C (highs) and 1.5 degrees C (lows). That's amazingly close!

So why is this important? There are a lot of interesting plants, carnivorous and otherwise, from Australia. It's useful to know which climates match up.

It's also useful to be able to ask someone from Melbourne, for example, which Nepenthes they can grow outside. Their experience is probably more relevant to me than what people in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or San Diego can report. So they're very good people to talk to.

The analogous regions covered are very interesting and include large parts of the world.

This map is from Climate Analogues of Australia

Climate analogues of Australia .png

I found another article which talks about this map, and gives additional information as to where similar climates are located, including a similar map to the Australia one, of the U.S. This is important information, in my opinion, since many/most of us are growing plants from all over the world.

Last edited:
As an example, looking at the limited range of Cephalotus (the Southwestern corner of Western Australia), and the map above, one might conclude that people living in Coastal Southern California might want to give it a shot outside all year. This is hardly a new suggestion, but it's nice to see it confirmed in a map like this.

That's neat! Now I need an overlay map showing what AU CPs are in the Sonora desert regions. :p

That's neat! Now I need an overlay map showing what AU CPs are in the Sonora desert regions. :p
I'm sure there are range maps for many of the individual species, but that would take a lot of time to sort through. Has someone (Lowrie?) put together more comprehensive maps?

I found this with a search, which I guess indicates where Lowrie collected Herbarium material (AVH = Australasian Virtual Herbarium)? The locations are mostly pretty coastal, but maybe a few in WA that appear to be in the "Sonora Desert" region...

Last edited:
Some annual Byblis and Utricularia are probably about it. The rest are more coastal plants.

Back