What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

full black moscow guppies x blues

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
This is the result. The aim is for full blue Moscows. I think I'm getting close. Aside from the obvious lighting problems, how are they looking as far as Moscows go?

The pics really don't do them justice. The flash makes them glare and ads a yellowish tone.
Thanks for any input or suggestions as far as refining them further towards full blue Mocsows.

blue-guppies.jpg

David

I don't have id experience on guppies but from what i see they look like some beautiful fish you have :)

Beautiful fish. They do remind me of a strain called Metallic Blue.

David-
They look great!! Good coverage of the colored portion even into the head area.
Are these F2s??

They're just F1s, but the blue started out as Moscows... supposedly. I was under the impression that all Moscows were solid and a friend was sold these as "Moscows". This was my first blue guppy.

guppy-1.jpg

It must have had the moscow gene though, because I was able to select for a solid blue that went to the back of the head.

After breeding out the side spots, I bred those to the full blacks to even out the blue. I used male blacks to female blues since the Moscow gene is on the Y chromosome and I knew for sure that the blacks were Moscows.

Those two F1 males in the five pics above showed up and I'm hoping I can keep it going and it's not just a fluke.

David

Wait a second..... these are your own creation? They're not commercially available? One thing's for sure.... I know you know not to inbreed them to death!

Wait a second..... these are your own creation?
Yup. :-D

They're not commercially available?
Yes and no. There are full blue Moscows available, but I'm just making my own. So there are other lines available, but mine isn't yet.

One thing's for sure.... I know you know not to inbreed them to death!
Inbreeding must be my biggest peeve. It absolutely stuns me at the amount of breeders there are of various animals who would rather loose their breed/strain all together than to do a little genetic work and re-selection. I don't know if they're not all there :crazy: , or just lazy.

David

Both and also fearful of the short term loss.

Back