What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruitfly eggs/pupae

Well?? I'm sure some of you here breed fruitflies to fed to your 'pets'? I could trade some of them for 'newbie' seed, that is, seed that is easily germinated and grown. (ie. D.spat, capillaris, several other rossetted doseras and U.subulata/bisquamata seed). Post here or Pm me if interested.

I think Wickedthistle may have some. Possibly Spectabilis73.

Actually, I just got some black crickets growing - more substantial prey. Now if only someone bred some crickets thad don't jump
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

Jason, PMed you.

Rubrarubra,

Black crickets? You mean, like the wild kind, as opposed to the tan kind pet stores sell?

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah, I found a few black ones and I liked them better than the tan ones. I just feed them some of the alfalfa pellets for feeding guinea pigs and rabbits. They also have a small water dish to drink from and a container with moist peat moss to lay the eggs in. About a month after I caught them, I have gobs of pinhead crickets.
smile.gif

Peter

A little while ago I bought some fruitflies that were genetically fooled with so that they had wings but couldn't fly. They "hatch" from this mysterious blue stuff. They cost about 2 to 3 dollars for one vial. Each vial can hatch about 100 fruitflies. I think they'd be perfect for VFTs concidering that they can't fly. I got them from a pet shop in the reptile section. However, I've never used them for feeding a CP but I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt CPs.

My wife does't like this, but I will put some crickets in a sealed sandwich bag and put them in the refrigerater for about an hour. Crickets don't jump well when cold. Kinda like an "ice cream treat" to the plants, I think.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 04 2004,4:47)]A little while ago I bought some fruitflies that were genetically fooled with so that they had wings but couldn't fly. They "hatch" from this mysterious blue stuff. They cost about 2 to 3 dollars for one vial. Each vial can hatch about 100 fruitflies. I think they'd be perfect for VFTs concidering that they can't fly. I got them from a pet shop in the reptile section. However, I've never used them for feeding a CP but I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt CPs.
Aye! Those are the ones I'm looking for. I saw them once on an online store and was wondering if anyone here had them. Where did you buy them from, Chrono? Do you remember the name of the store...?

Females just get freaked when they find fly eggs/crickets/fish food/sleeping flies/freeze dried bllodworms etc etc, in the fridge. It only takes them a year or two to get used to it...
smile_m_32.gif

-Jason-

Back