What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit trees

Hello one and all (those of you that look at this end of the forum).

I have a small lemon tree (2 1/2 feet) that is growing very well but has 4 or so very long thin branches coming out close to the bottom. should I prune these off to force it grow branches at the top which it has none of yet.

also

I wish to expand my fruit collection and i'm looking for something that will grow indoors sharing a corner of the halide bulb and window. I'm thinking tree/shrub 6ft tall or less and pretty compact. I already have citrus fruits I'm hoping for something more unusual. Tim suggested guavas which sound good but I don't know which varieties are small enough to grow indoors. Also would consider small vine on a trellis(just thought of that one).

Anyone out there growing something indoors that they can suggest??

thanks
joe

if the branches are comming out way near the bottom, they are probably suckers and need to be removed. my lemon trees produce many of these... leaving them can and do cause ill effects to the plant.
later,
andrew

You could try growing a Kiwi or Passion Flower plant on a trellis. I don't know much about Bananas but you might be able to grow some dwarf variety.

Hey Joseph,

Have you ever thought about getting one of the bonsai trees that produce fruit? Not much to eat, but they're gorgeous as decor. Loquats are great little trees, but I'm not sure if they can be grown indoors.

OK i've trimmed the tree, it is now a stick with leaves.

whickedthistle, never heard of a bonsai that makes fruit. I'll have to look into that.

Monkeyman, I'm seriously considering kiwi, I don't know much about passion friut. As for kiwi can one just remove the seeds from a fruit and expect them to sprout??

thanks
joe

put the seeds in a sandwhich bag with a layer of moist peat, then put it in the fridge for three weeks then plant. never tried it, but should work from what I've heard.

confused.gif

Kiwi require male and female plants, They are vines also.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a small lemon tree (2 1/2 feet) that is growing very well but has 4 or so very long thin branches coming out close to the bottom. should I prune these off to force it grow branches at the top which it has none of yet.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not to brag, but I'm learning so much here that I want to also be able to teach on the VERY few subjects that I know something about. My BSc is in Pomology (Fruit Science) and I have 23 years experience in the field.

The stuff from the base if very often the rootstock, which is a totally different plant than the top, so they always have to come off.

Don't prune a lemon too much! They hate it, and in response can send out long quick growing branches that have no fruit, but lots of thorns.

Thanks for the trimming info tim.

CFG, you just ruined my day. that surely won't work inside.

Back