What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit flies

I see a lot of people in the threads who are considering feeding their VFT seedlings.

This is where I have ordered my fruit flies in the past and I was very pleased with the service-

Ed's Fruit flies

We are not talking one of those little viles that you get from PetSmart. This man sends your fruit flies in the equivalent of a 1lb salad container from the deli and the fruit flies seem to last forever.

Also too, when I first began ordering from him for our Praying Mantids, all he had available was the standard lab fruit fly and Drosophila melanogaster.  That's the flightless fruit fly.  In looking at his website, he now has D. melanogaster which is the wingless fruit fly and the new and highly sought after D. hydei which is a larger flightless fruit fly.

Don't shoot me for this, but I have an alternate method for procuring fruit flies. We just buy a whole mess of fruit; let the kids get tired of eating them; have them go bad; wait for fruit flies to appear. Works every time!
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I know, wrong species of fruit flies!

i dono, but i find fruit flies coming out of my soil, the crawl all over the place, bsides, how are the reproducing?

LauraZ5,
I bought my fruit flies from PetSmart. I then used to raise them myself.

AzNsUShi41,
They are fungus gnats.

LOL Yeah, I have a winged fruit fly culture trying to start up. I bet whenever I open it I will lose them all....need the wingless ones!

how do you culture them? the banana I feed them gets all black and nasty and they fly away (I want to try w/ free ones first :p) and it smells horrible.

Cyber sights on Jim!

Seriously, rotten bananas work in my home all the time.  I know people who are trying to attract fruit flies from their rotten fruit who take paint brushes and paint beer on popsicle sticks to lure them closer to their hungry critters.  I guess fruit flies love the taste and smell of beer.  Problem is we don't have any hungry praying mantids left and the fruit flies we were getting were a nuisance.  It isn't as if we were interested in studying their dna or anything we just needed them as a food source for newly emergent praying mantids. We later moved to pin head crickets and when we ran out... well the praying mantids ate each other.

Fruit flies reproduce sexually.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It isn't as if we were interested in studying their dna or anything
speaking of that, have you seen any mutations??? :-D any pics?

I had some start on accident on coconut meat-was leaving some coconuts outside to dry after eating most of it-but I forgot to take the plastic wrapping off and thus created a moist habitat.

Back