What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frog

Does natural trapping of toads and frogs count as somthing the Society of Prevation of Cruelty to Animals will care about? Because on page 105 of the book savage garden, third paragraph from the top, you'll see this:

"That the plants do catch larger animals, such as the Pacific tree frog, is something that I have witnessed amoung my greenhouse plants many times."

You may or may not also know that most frogs and toads never even reach adulthood, where they become fertile... Being found in an urban location, there is very little chance that that frog that was used to benefit another living thing would have lived to see its own eggs...

It is also reported that tadpoles and baby fishies are eaten by utricularia, in a rather greusome way:

"The biggest prey include newly hatched fish fry and tadpolettes."

The tail gets sucked in, and is digested. When the trap is reset, the tadpole wiggles away, only to reset the trap and have another chunk taken out of it... (The Savage Garden, p222)

A blue bottle fly can lay as many as 600 eggs at once. By you slaying of them for the sake of your plant, look at how many new living Diptera you have prevented from ever seeing the light of day.

On a personal note... I find it offensive that you ask for seed so blatantly...

I won't continue this any longer... I dont see it to be necassary... Do you?

Wow, I go away for a few days and look what happens!!! I didn't mean to ruffle everyone's feathers. I simply posted this because I thought it was pretty cool and wanted to get some feedback on what people thought may happen. I am happy to say that all three traps that were fed toads have opened and the plant is growing as fast as ever. As for the SPCA comments, spare me. It's not like I tortured the things. That was a better fate than the lawn mower, which I'm sure alot of them got!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Sorry if I offended anyone. I can't help that I'm so stupid, I mean disturbed.
Buckmaster

Oh yeah, I forgot to thank you, Parasuco, for defending me. Thanks a million!!!

Buckmaster

Remember all, if you can't say something nice, don't say it. Keep your mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboards.

Us Mods are going to really start thumping heads of people who get to rambunxious... have fun yes, insults, derision, snide remarks, judgement, these things are not cool and will not be tolerated.

Buckmaster, feed your plant whatever you want, have fun, love it, and be you. you don't need to 'think' on what you have done. that is a ridiculous comment from someone mods are watching... it's actually kind of funny.

Yeah... I erased the comment/post and like Ram said we'd apreciate it if people would be nice.

That doesn't mean you cannnot voice your opinion, don't get me wrong and by all means please do, but just learn how to voice it without being rude, argumentive, insulting, and just plain mean.

I WAS JUST JOKING!!!! DON"T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!!

Ok. Sorry about that.

HUH?? Ok Mr Plantslikebugs
smile.gif

youre fine I wasnt refering to you and I dont think Ram was either. MAN!!
wow.gif
dont get so defensive
tounge.gif

Yeah, PLB, it wasn't you.

Back