What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hello all,

In taking pictures of my lovely N. spectabilis x aristolochioides for a thread I created last night, I noticed some red spots on its leaves. Here's a pic that shows them better:

5606923316_2fb180119f_b.jpg

I've read that red spots can be a sign of three things:

1) too much light
2) viral infection
3) crappy growing conditions leading to imminent death

My conditions are:
16 hours of T8 light (2x 3000K bulbs, 2x 6500K bulbs, 32 watts apiece), about 7" below the lights
Temperatures in the high 70s with some drop overnight
Humidity ranging between the high 60s during the day to mid-80s at night

I've had this guy for just under one month. I just finished acclimating it to my grow space by putting it in a large ziploc bag and slowly punching more and more holes in it. I removed it from the bag entirely last weekend. So far, I have fed one pitcher once with a mix of pulverized blood worms and betta pellets and water. I have also lightly misted it once with a weak solution of Maxsea.

I did notice that the undersides of the affected leaves have similar blemishes. No signs of critters anywhere.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks!

Hmmm.. doesn't seem like anything major, it might just the old leaves reacting to changes in conditions.

It's caused by more light than the plant is used to....it's a mild form of sunburn, the new leaves will not be affected.

What a relief! Once this thing starts growing again (it's still inflating pitchers but new leaves seem to be on hold for the moment) it'll be epic.

Back