What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fridge dormancy for temperate 'dews

I'm interested in growing some temperate Drosera species and hybrids on the tray method alongside rosetted subtropical varieties, fulfulling their dormancy requirements via. the fridge method. Will temperate varieties "signal" the beginning of dormancy by forming hibernacula in the absence of cold temps, or do I have to trigger dormancy by placing actively-growing plants in the fridge? I need to know when/how to start dormancy so the plants don't exhaust themselves. Also, when the plants are dormant, do I put the entire pot+media in the fridge, or do I unpot the hibernacula and put it in a plastic bag with sphagnum?

Will temperate varieties "signal" the beginning of dormancy by forming hibernacula in the absence of cold temps?

Maybe..but probably not..that isn't the right question though.

or do I have to trigger dormancy by placing actively-growing plants in the fridge?

No.

Will temperate varieties "signal" the beginning of dormancy by forming hibernacula...
... as temps cool while the plant is outside through September and October?

Yes! :)

I have a D. filifformis that I put through dormancy the same way as the VFTs and Sarracenia..
leave it outside April - Late October or early November..then put it into winter storage..
it always forms a hibernacula naturally outdoors in September and October *before* I put it away for the winter..

I have said it many times, and I will say it again:
"Always remember, The fridge does not cause or create the dormancy, it merely maintains the dormancy that was already created naturally outdoors".

The plants go dormant *before* going in the fridge..by being outside April - November..very important for fridge dormancy!
there is a lot more about it in my webpage, link below..
Scot

Some temperate plants will go dormant on their own without any apparent temperature or lighting changes, though this isn't necessarily common. I have had D. anglica and D. intermedia go dormant when the temperatures in the greenhouse they're in were plenty hot and bright, long before fall.

A paper I read on dormancy in temperate plants said the some plants need to reach a minimum temperature range in order to enter complete dormancy. If those temperatures are not reached they remain in a semi-dormant state even if the average temperatures rise. As I recall one example are sugar maples.

Thanks for the info, I remember that some of you (especially ScottyChaos) answered my questions about growing temperate 'dews outdoors in a mini bog about a month ago. I just don't have any outdoor space for temperates. Until I have a place for a mini-bog, I will probably stick to tropical/sub-tropical varieties for my windowsill and greenhouse space at work.

My red filiformis go in the fridge. In about 2-3 weeks actually.

If they're FL Red fils, they don't need a dormancy.....

Not sure if they're FL reds. I put one in the fridge last fall and it did fine this season outdoors. I do keep some babies I started from it indoors without dormancy and they don't do as well.

Back