What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free seedling pots

I got kinda lazy the other night and ordered a delivery from my favorite Chinese restaurant while watching the final game of the World Series.
The condiments came in four clear 2 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" deep clear plastic containers.  Turned upside down, the lids (they have little ridges to hold the containers securely) make perfect watering trays.
I transplanted eight (two to a pot) of my more than fifty tiny Drosers seedlings and they are doing great.
I'm sure the next time I go there I will be able to get a bunch more...with perhaps, a little extra gratuity for the cute little waitress.
biggrin.gif

Anybody else have any ideas for cheap...free...seedling pots?
rock.gif

I use plastic Mott's applesauce containers. They come in packs of 6 and I haven't had any problems, except trying to punch a hole through the bottom. Plus there's all the applesauce I get to eat!
tongue3.gif

I just recently bought a ton of those to-go condiment containers...about 1 1/2" wide and 1" deep with a lid. I have a few seedlings in them but I really bought them for shipping seedlings of rosetted 'dews. They'd probably be good for other stuff too. (Like ketchup!!! Yummmy!)
biggrin.gif

Sometimes, when you order Pizza, you get small containers of sauces to dip the crust in (i.e. creamy garlic, cheese, etc.)..... mmmmm, cheeeeese.... **drool**

wow.gif

I’ve been making CP pots out of ordinary containers for only a little while, but when I find something I can use I drill holes on the side of the container rather than the bottom.  Then I cover the holes from the inside of the container with fiberglass screen (used for window screens) to keep the medium from escaping.  

If you're interested, these are the specifics.  Drill small holes (about 1/8 in. or ¼ cm. diameter) on the side of the container close to the base (about ½ in. or 1 cm. above the base).  It's easy with an electric drill.  For a cylindrical container with a diameter of 3 in. or 8 cm., I make 2 staggered horizontal rows of about 12 holes each.  Then cut a piece of fiberglass screen so it covers the inside bottom of the container and is big enough to cover the holes and extend above the holes a little (1 in. or 2 cm.).  Then put in the medium, making sure that the screen is against the inside wall of the container.  

This is a work in progress, and I’m sure improvements can be made to it.

Stuff like this could go in the forum (lol)

Here's one that is free if you happen to be into doing ceramics:

I used scrap clay from making a real pot, and made a 4-5 inch long, 3 inch wide and tall Nepenthes pot. I put lots of little holes, and a few slots along the side and bottom, because I intended these to be pots for Live Sphagnum-based media, and the air and drainage are great for Sphagnum and Nepenthes roots. I just finished glazing it today (moss green!
biggrin.gif
) and it is in the kiln as we speak!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif

lol clay....I wonder how we can pull out a kiln and some scrap clay in our back pockets. Hehe, I think that would be a little more costly than plasic pots. I still remeber my pottery days, THAT CLASS WAS SO HARD!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 12 2003,8:12)]I just recently bought a ton of those to-go condiment containers...about 1 1/2" wide and 1" deep with a lid.  I have a few seedlings in them but I really bought them for shipping seedlings of rosetted 'dews.  They'd probably be good for other stuff too.  (Like ketchup!!!  Yummmy!)  
biggrin.gif
I've got a couple about that size with a piece of damp paper towel in the bottom that I have gemmae stored in in the fridge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DKiM128 @ Nov. 12 2003,5:13)]lol clay....I wonder how we can pull out a kiln and some scrap clay in our back pockets. Hehe, I think that would be a little more costly than plasic pots. I still remeber my pottery days, THAT CLASS WAS SO HARD!!

DKiM128, There are many ceramic places that allow you to do your "creations" using their equipment (for a fee of course
tounge.gif
). They sell the clay, slip, greenware, glaze, etc. to you and will fire the pieces for you. While I never took a pottery class, I did help some friends who had a business supplying greenware to ceramic shops in Colorado Springs. I enjoyed that work/play.

smile.gif

BCK

I use many old yogurt cups. They work well and are roughly the same size as a 3" pot. The downside is they do get brittle after being exposed to the elements. But, they work well for about a year or so.

Back