What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Byblis liniflora seeds

Hey all Singaporeans,

I managed to harvest some Byblis liniflora seeds today and now have a very limited quantity to give away.

I think I have sufficient for 2 packets of 5-8 seeds. I know it's quite little, but (i) the seeds germinate quite well given the right conditions and (ii) they just keep popping out b4 I can get my fat hands to them, hence the little amounts.

Thus, first 2 persons to PM me with their address get the seeds!

i already have some, i want to know how long does it take for them to germinate?
thanks

Just for info, the seeds need a lot of warmth and light to germinate. The germinated plants need relatively deep pots (about > 4 inches) and cannot be transplanted cos the roots are exceedingly sensitive to shock. Medium to use is 2:1 sand:peat.

wezx, they should take about 2 weeks to germinate, though some have experienced germination within as short as 4 days!

ME!!!

I also can offer some Byblis liniflora seeds to swap
PM me
Arie

The seeds have been sent.
Anyway, I think the seeds need both light and heat. My second batch of seeds germinated today after I'd switched the plastic covering from a rather opaque one to a transparent one. So, yup, the seeds are viable and remember, lots of heat and light
biggrin.gif

Got them. Under florescent lights now, will be in the sun tomorrow...
smile.gif

Got them, but sown in distilled water under indirect sunlight. Will be sown in CP mix some time later.

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

mine didn't sprout

algae killed all the seeds before germinating

how do you guys aviod this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ Mar. 13 2004,08:43)]
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

mine didn't sprout

algae killed all the seeds before germinating

how do you guys aviod this?
If your haveing a lot of problems with algae there are a couple things you can do to prevent it or at least slow it down.  One thing you can do is rinse your soil ingredients with distilled water to remove any nutrients that may be in them.  The other thing you can do is microwave the soil ingredients to kill algae spores.  I wet my peat/perlite mix before microwaving it.  This serves two purposes. First I can heat the peat/perlite mix fairly warm and not worry about the peat catching fire or scorching easily.  Scorched peat smells pretty rank and continues to stink for months when you use it in your pots.  Second, once I have the peat/perlite mix heated up, I let it set covered so that the heat is trapped and the mixture steams itself until cooled.  I don't microwave often unless I get a batch of peat that I have problems with or it smells musty when I open the bag.

smile.gif

BCK

Wezx and others who didn't experience germination with their Byblis seeds, I have some more to send out to you. But I must appeal that you wait out a while first with the seeds in lots of light and sunlight, cos in my limited experience, they need these conditions to germinate. Hopefully the rainy/cloudy season will be over soon enough!

So if u think u've really satisfied these seeds and think that the problem lies with the seeds, pls send me a PM and I'll be happy to send u somemore to try. Of course, wezx, I understand ur seeds basically rotted away, so if u like some new ones, send me a PM.

Once again, the seeds are quite limited in number and it seems that the parent plant is dying away soon, it being an annual. So pls only ask if u truly need fresh seeds; if not, I would hope to spread the remaining limited quantity to those whose seeds have really defaulted

Hopefully I can share this wonderful plant with you guys!

Oh yes, as BigCarnivourKid pointed out and as sme of you may already know, algae is quite effectively prevented by leaving the medium in the open to "age" for a few weeks. So, I would ask that u have such a medium prepared before I send the seeds, can?
smile.gif

For me, I left my 2:1 sand:peat mix in the sun (and rain
biggrin.gif
) for a few weeks and then laid the Byblis seeds on them. I then covered the pot with a clear (clear, so that enough sunlight can get in) plastic wrapping and put the pot in a tray of water. The whole set-up is then left in the open, with intense sunlight and heat. Germination is usually noted after 2 weeks, though some seeds germinate within 1 week as well!

Back