What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found sphagnum swamp?

I just got home from a hunting trip a little north of where I live. While I was there I was out tracking a deer, and it lead me to one of our familier swamps. While tracking it I noticed something I have never noticed before. It appears to me that it is sphagnum growing! If so I have about 3 acres of it and it is about 2 1/2 feet deep! I grabbed a chunk of it so I could take a picture and make sure, the heads look a little bit bigger then I am used to, what do you think?

387DCP_0364-med.JPG

Yep, it looks like the real deal.
smile.gif

Yeah,thats it.I also found some on our land this weekend.If you have 3 acres of it,you wont have to buy any for a while.LOL
biggrin.gif

Jerry

No that I shouldnt. I was most amazed by the depth of it, it goes down a good 2 1/2 to 3 feet. But for some reason I was under the impression that Michigan was to cold for spagh.

New York has spagnum, and its pretty cold up here
smile_n_32.gif
Lots of the stuff up in BRF.

I have heard that some people put it in a food processor and then use it as a media by itself, any truth to that?

It makes sense and sounds like a good idea. Its wild grown so its the best you can get, and after all, peat moss itself is just dried spagnum.
confused.gif

If it were me I would just use it as topping...no need to start your mini peat harvesting business.

Then when it grows, pass it on
smile.gif

he's only one person, no way is he gonna use it all (and he probably wont sell it) I'd use it as a medium.

Yeah I think I might try chopping some of it up and planting some plants in it.

Dude, can you mail me about a pound? Or, twenty? I was thinking of making a bog garden in my backyard and grow my own sphagnum, it would be nice if you could send me some. Of course i would put a terrestrial bladderwort or something to keep pests down. Like mites. And get some daphnia from the local lake to keep down algae. That is sweet though. Send me a few pounds.
biggrin.gif

ugh I dont know about 20 lbs
confused.gif
. But I may be able to send you a gallon bag or so of it. Would you have anything to trade?

hmmmmmmm......
Is that open to anyone? I have 2 ventrata cuttings that I'm looking to trade away, you interested?

Thanks,
Craig

Well I went out to collect more but it was all frozen so I guess Ill have to wait untill spring to harvest more. So I have only a couple of bags I can trade now. PM me if you would like to offer.

A lot of peole over the years have milled live sphagnum for CP. Nice find. I would not be surprised if you found some D. rotundifolia there too.

Cheers,

Joe

Back