What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found some coffee in the cupboard, is it safe for nepenthes?

I've found an old metal can of folgers unopened in the top of shelf of our cupboard above the stove. It had a good layer of dust on the top of it, who knows how old it is.
Here is a picture I found on the web, same stuff I found in the cupboard.
I am wondering if this stuff is instant coffee or not?
Is it safe to use on neps? I just opened it, it smells fresh.
And if I am just using it for neps, do I need to run it through a coffee pot, or can I just soak a scoop in a gallon of water?
folgers_coffee_coupons.jpg

Typically, you just make a pot of coffee using distilled water, and use that on your plants.

And yes, that looks to be fine to use.

I use tap water to make my coffee, then dilute the coffee in a gallon of RO. It barely shows up on the TDS meter that way, and my plants aren't dead.

Okay, I made some coffee.
I had to do a google search on how to make coffee
I've never made coffee before, and my mother hates the smell. I pulled out an ancient coffee pot and brewed some up in my room, hopefully far from the reach of her nostrils!.

I used 3 tablespoons to make four cups, is that too strong?
The max I can brew with this coffee maker is four cups.

Silly me, I thought it's the coffee grounds you use as fertilizer.

You have never made COFFEE? Unheard of my Nana drinks two 5 gallon pots of coffee!

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I forgot to tell you she drinks that amount EACH DAY.

eou thats more coffee i drink lol, i think if i were drinking that much a day i would be going off the walls by now! :boogie:

I made four cups using three tablespoons.
Is that too strong?

Definitely not too strong. I easily make mine that strong, and just pour the backwash or leftovers on my plants from time to time.

Okay, I tried it on several plants
A. Nepenthes ventricosa
Nepenthes alata boschiana mimic
and N. truncata pasian

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I'll post some before and after pictures in a month or so, if I remember.

Back