What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found my Bird of Paradise today!

Finally found the Strelitzia Reginae (Bird of Paradise--blue and orange flower)...I've been looking for awhile now. Hopefully they are the blue and orange variety, though the white Nicolae are nice too. They weren't well tagged but were in the right section. Only 1 had a bloom to see the color but I didn't get that one as it looked sorta droopy and unhealthy.
Best part was they were half price so I bought 2 to plant in my yard. They had huge ones too but a lot more expensive and I couldn't get them in my car anyway. Anyhow, I'm happy now and will be happier if I can get them to flower
biggrin.gif

If they do, I'll take pics so you can see. Anyone have any growing tips for me??

i have decided that i want one of these (to much time spent playing "the sims" i guess). do you know of a good place online to buy them? or maybe even a chain store that might have them? it seems that the local "garden centers" don't carry them.

thanks,
technoracer

I didn't see any good places on line to get them. I found mine at a local Houston nursery that is quite large. Some of the nurseries get them from California I think but maybe your best bet is to call around to some of the big nurseries in your area and see if they ever carry them or could order some for you.
Mine still aren't showing color yet but I have them in the shade for now. They are however getting new growth so I hope the "flowers" are close behind. Hopefully I can keep them alive long enough to get flowers. They are supposed to be pretty slow growers and need lots of fertilizer. I think I'll plant them in my yard in the Spring and see how they do then but the heat is fierce so they'll have to be in the shade.
Good luck on finding some...let me know what you find out, ok?

Thanks for the info Technoracer. Forgot to mention that mine are about 2-2 1/2 feet tall and the foilage is quite healthy. I think they are in 2 gallon pots. They should be old enough to bloom any time...the one I saw in flower was actually smaller than the 2 I bought. Info says they bloom better in cooler weather and it's been hot here. So perhaps they'll bloom in fall and winter here...or I may bring them into my house with the A/C to cool them off a bit. In any case I'll keep you posted on how they do. I don't know what area you are in so I can't help much with suppliers...if mine get big enough to split, maybe I can send you one someday.
Peace to you too and to those whom you love.

Back