What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found cp's while hiking

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I took off work on Friday so I could leave early in the morning for my 3 hour and fifteen minute drive to head up to the mountains of Sullivan and Luzerne Counties PA.
I did a lot of hiking the whole weekend as I stayed in a friends cabin. I took many pictures, mainly of waterfalls, posted in the following link so take a look if you like.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=20139

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....140;r=1

I came to an area that looked like a good possibility for CP’s. So I went to explore. At first I found an aquatic Utricularia. I have no idea what kind it was. The only green that was on the long stems was the last inch to inch and a half, the rest of the stem was brown.
I then explored more and found many Drosera intermedia growing in the area as well.
This is the first CP’s that I have found while hiking. I was glad to have found them.

133Picture-5158.jpg

133Picture-5202.jpg

133Picture-5164.jpg

133Picture-5201.jpg

133Picture-5204.jpg

Cool!~Niki~
smile.gif

very nice elgecko. very nice.

Thats cool to see cps in the wild.

Jerry

Oh, had I wished I was with ya!

Wow! Nice find! I wanna go CP hunting around here! Lots of places to check out... Thanks for sharing the pictures.
smile.gif

Sometime when I get back to the area I hope to explore further.
It was a pleasant surprise to find them.

That's awesome! I'm a little bummed out this summer because I haven't gone camping at all...I used to hate it but it's grown on me in the past 2 summers...oh well... I'll just have to bug my parents to go camping!

I would love to find CPs in the wild like that. I'd probably just sit there for hours just staring at them!

Those are really beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Glad everyone liked the pictures.
I'm thinking of hunting some CP's in The Pine Barrens of NJ yet this year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Aug. 04 2005,9:40)]Glad everyone liked the pictures.
I'm thinking of hunting some CP's in The Pine Barrens of NJ yet this year.
Oooh be very careful. When hunting cps, if you don't get a clean kill and wound them, they can be very dangerous....

smile_n_32.gif

I will probably get flamed for this, but it looks like the Drosera had just finished flowering(or maybe not quite)...did you collect a few seed? Some on these forums would be outraged by this, but just a few seed or a leaf cutting is not going to harm the population.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Aug. 04 2005,11:51)]Sometime when I get back to the area I hope to explore further.
It was a pleasant surprise to find them.
If possible, I hope you can find the money trees at further.
Which is used to protect this beautiful place. Because many CPs habitat are nonstop to destory on the earth.

Joe,
No I did not take any seed. I do not think it was ripe yet.
The ICPS has tons Drosera intermedia seed, so if I want some I might get it from there. Actually I know a few growers that I could probably get a plant if I mentioned I was looking for one.

Yes, the seedbank always has D. intermedia seed, but I don't recall ever seeing any from Pennsylvania....not that I would be able to tell the difference between that aand other states, lol.
Location data seems important to some, which is where I was going with that.
In March I got to see D. brevifolia in Texas , and they were flowering, but I don't think I could bring myself to take a stalk either(not to mention it was Big Thicket Preserve).
Cheers,

Joe

Back