What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fossils

Around our property, we keep finding little fossils and bones on/in the ground. I have a bunch but my parents did something with them. I found two, I think there's one or two more. Here's some pictures...

This one is about 1 1/2 inches long, about 1 inch wide, and about 1/2 an inch thick. It looks something like a bee hive, but inside the shallow holes there are lines going out from the middle.
Weird side:
P6270004.jpg

Other side:
P6270005.jpg

This other one is bigger and heavier, it's about 3-4 inches long and about 3 inches thick. One side has a bunch of deep lines that look like scratches.
P6270006.jpg

This other one that I have no picture of is about 1/2 an inch, and it has a perfect looking clam shell shape on both sides.

Those are it for now.

The first one is probably a small piece of fossilized coral..
fairly common in the fossil record..

the second one..I dont know!

I go trilobite hunting on occasion..fascinating critters:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/bio-sci/biodiversity-lab/images/trilobite.jpg

I have found quite a few pieces, and few good whole specimens.

I would love to find a Eurypterid (the state fossil of NY)
http://www.unmc.edu/Physiology/Mann/pix_4b/eurypterid.gif

I happen to live in a Trilobite and Eurypterid infested region..so that helps.

Scot

omgomg i'm overaddicted to fossil's :D i got like 5kilo rock's with sea urchin's in it
also miljon's of shark teeth
i've got an entire cupboard full of them Oo

Last edited:
Ohio State Fossil Trilobite Represent

when im out elk and mule deer hunting im constantly watching my feet.....the area i hunt big game in is actually a dinosaur fossil hot spot....i know one local guy that stumbled appon on of the few nearly complete plesiosaur fossils ever discovered in the state 3 or 4 years ago with in a mile or so of my usual hunting area, its also part of the formation that most T-rex fossils were pulled out of......so far ive only found squid shells by the dump truck load, a hand full of gar scales and several metric tons of petrified wood.......

Back