What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Hey everyone,

In light of the new updates, I wanted to provide some information about one of the new features: Tags. As I mentioned in the announcement thread, I am a member of another forum that uses these very effectively. They will only become effective the more they are used, since they need to be typed into threads manually. It will be very helpful when searching through posts to find specific information, instead of always using the forum.

For example, we can post tags like Nepenthes, Saracenia, maxima, fertilizer, soil, cultivation and other relevant things.

If I can make a suggestion, I think it would be beneficial for everyone creating tags to make sure all spelling is correct (since macrophylla will create a different tag from macrophyla), and to be as complete as possible (using "sarracenia" instead of "sarrs" or "sarra").

So, if someone posts a picture thread of their Sarracenia bog garden, it could be tagged as pictures, Sarracenia, flava, purpurea, and bog.

I think this will become a very useful feature, because now if you are looking for specific species information or pictures, you can search the tags for hamata and pictures to find any thread that has been tagged with both hamata and pictures, instead of getting massive search results for anything and everything that may contain your search feature.

Hope everyone finds this feature as exciting and useful as I do.

xvart.

sounds like a great idea i like Tags

It is convenient.

For example, we can post tags like Nepenthes, Saracenia, maxima, fertilizer, soil, cultivation and other relevant things.

If I can make a suggestion, I think it would be beneficial for everyone creating tags to make sure all spelling is correct (since macrophylla will create a different tag from macrophyla),

You mean like...spelling "Sarracenia" correctly? :rolleyes:

(Just kidding...I know that's a typo, but I just couldn't resist! LOL ) :-))

damnit somebody beat me to tagging this one...

Wow- Look at xvart taking over the new modifications! haha

Xvart FOR PRESIDENT!!!! He's on a roll!

"JC the Mod"!

You mean like...spelling "Sarracenia" correctly? :rolleyes:

(Just kidding...I know that's a typo, but I just couldn't resist! LOL ) :-))

Heh. Nice one. Maybe we should tag this thread with "xvart screwup."

I went through and tagged a few things in the Nepenthes and SarRacenia forums to give people an idea of what it is.

edit: I just realized that you can't actually search by multiple tags like I initially thought, so there might be some confusion when using tag "flava" between S. flava and N. flava. And we might want to create tags such as "sarracenia pictures" instead of just "pictures." Oh well, the system will work itself out as people start tagging things.

xvart.

Last edited:
I found a hack that will go back and add tags to old threads by taking key words from the title... It will also automatically add tags to new topics by using the same method... sounds promising. (you can still add in your own as well..)

Back