What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum read method...

Which forum read method do you WANT?

• The old (cookie/inactivity based) method

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • The new (database/must view based) method

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I haven't a clue/don't care

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a thread you want to follow just subscribe to it.

It's not that I want to follow specific threads. I just want to see the ones that have been most recently posted to. I don't care if I've read them before, if I've read them since the last time there was a post to them, or what subforum they're in, and the "New Posts" list used to have exactly that. I realize I can find those posts other ways, but those other ways are much less convenient. While I'm grateful that it's here, free-of-charge, for my benefit, I'm not paid to participate here and I don't feel it's too much to ask to not have to jump through extra hoops to perform a simple task. Particularly when the only justifications to have things another way are that a few people think it makes more sense in the new way, or didn't use the old way and don't see how someone could've made use of it. What time I do have to spend on the forum I prefer to spend participating, and not navigating the subforums. This is a casual discussion forum, and I don't think it could really hurt that much to have a few slightly redundant features to accommodate the preferences of different users.
At the risk of being catty, I would conjecture that this is the very same thing that's wrong with new releases of Microsoft Office. (I mention this because I deal with it just about daily at work.) It's fine to improve things, but taking features away from users or changing stuff around so much it disrupts their normal workflow is generally bad practice.
~Joe

Voted "don't care." TF isn't so fast that I feel it necessary to use the new posts functions. I know which of the forums I'm interested in and if I check those once a week or so, it isn't too unmanageable. The rest is generally random viewing or my regular trawling of posts for rule breakers and spam.

i also never used the new posts button. so i also voted dont care. it wont change anything for me. haha.

Alex

I don't understand why it's so hard to just ignore that stuff if you're not interested in it, or once you view everything you want to- mark the forums read and that stuff will go away. ???
I agree. At 1st, the new approach was terrible. After I read the other thread, I just developed the habit of marking the forums 'read' before i leave & now when I come back, everything new since last time is easy to see. :-O Life is good. :lol:

I agree. At 1st, the new approach was terrible. After I read the other thread, I just developed the habit of marking the forums 'read' before i leave & now when I come back, everything new since last time is easy to see. :-O Life is good. :lol:

But it's such a pain for us lazy people! :jester: I don't use the New/Today's Post features, but I do rely on the presence of check marks to tell me what is new and what is not (since my last visit).

Just look at how many check marks there are for me in the General Discussions Board.... The old method was better. :bigthumpup:

I think it is clear the old method is to return. So it has.
Thanks for participating!
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back