What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forked sundew with flower stalk pictures

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
My mom recently sent me this picture of my forked sundew with a flower stalk. I'm not 100% on the species because I got it as a hitch hiker, but I'm pretty sure it's a D. dichotoma 'small red form'. The dealer I got it from said it's the only species he has that spreads around the greenhouse like a weed. Any help with the i.d is appreciated.
sundewflower-1.jpg

Anywho, will simply rubbing the flowers together pollinate them?
How long do the flowers stay open for?
How can I tell if they were pollinated successfully? (i.e, will there be seed pods or something?) How long do the seeds take to ripen?

Thanks, and sorry for the boat load of questions.

Matt

I bought D. binata and it looks exactly like what you have. Mine has had 2 flower stalks for a month now. I didn't try to pollinate them.

I thought it was a binata at first too, but then I realised it couldn't be after I read the dealer's website. He said that all of the binatas he has in stock are sterile and won't spread.
So considering this one is a hitch hiker, I don't think it can be a binata.

The flowers will self-pollinate on closing. Or an insect will do it for you. Or you can rub flower together. Or you can pluck off the anthers and rub them on the stamens. Or you can transfer pollen on to something and then to the stamens.

The New Zealand forms should be self-fertile.

Otherwise you need a different clone.

Thanks NAN.

Any idea on how long the seeds take to ripen?

It's a D. Binata, I'm not actually sure if it is a var. Dichotoma

I've got a third stalk almost ripe enough to clip. I didn't really pay attention to the time frame. 2-4 weeks on a wild guess :)

...or you can take leaf cuttings and get this:

Picture117.jpg

celox- I'm pretty sure it's the dichotoma 'small red form'. An added reason being it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I think I've had it for long enough now to establish that it grows like a weed, but it's leaves don't get any larger; I've read that this is one of the distinct characteristics of the small red form.

NAN- thanks again

jimscott- Yeah, I plan on doing that when the plant grows out a little bit more. I'll have to use your signature vile method. lol

Thanks everybody

Vile method? LOL! That's vial method... but maybe that was intentional!

Back