What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a few extra D. graminifolia seed grown plants that I would like to trade for other species of Brasillian Drosera.  I am only interested in trading for such species.  These are juvenille plants grown from seed collected by Fernando Rivadavia and Robert Gibson in Diamantina August 2002 and are 1-3 inches tall and have been well grown for over a year.  I am interested in any species other than D. montana var tomentosa, D. sessilifolia, D. villosa var. ascendens, D. graomogolensis, D. biflora or any of the D. intermedia or D. capillaris from Brasil.  I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone out there is cultivating some of these species:

D. arenicola
D. chrysolepsis
D.grantsuai
D. hirtella (any ssp's)
D. villosa (other than the ascendens variety)
D. esmeraldae
D. communis
D. kaieteurensis
D. felix

Please PM me if you are interested in exchanging material from the above list only.  

I have adult plants that I hope will produce seed next season, and hope to make these available to Forum members when (and if) they are produced.

Thank you for your consideration.

Drosera_graminfolia_8.thumb.jpg

(t: fixed link I broke.. sorry!)

Hi tamlin
if nobody wants to trade for the D. graminifolia could i buy one or two from you
LMK
enoc22

You outta know me better than that! I very rarely sell plants, I prefer to give them away or trade. In this case, I wish only to trade. It seems that with the Brasilian Drosera those that dont got, don't get. I plan on getting and hopefully turn that around for all concerned.

Ok
i have only been on the forum for about a month or so so i don't realy know anybody
biggrin.gif

anyways do you know where i could get some brazilian dorsera's
rock.gif

LMK
Thanks
Oliver

Brazilian and many other South American drosera are quite sought after by drosera collectors. Myself, I only have to South Americans (sessiflora and montana tomentosa). I got montana via BACPS meeting and sessiflora from trade with Tony.

I thought D. sessilifolia was Brazilian?
rock.gif

Sorry Oliver I must have had you confused with someone else.  It's not hard to confuse me
laugh.gif

If I may take this opportunity to explain to you and other recent Forum members: My main focus in CP is to distribute as many plants as I can, free of charge, in my remaining lifetime.  I believe that it will only be in the hands of good growers that the plants will survive into the next century for our grandchildren's grandchildren to be able to enjoy.  I believe that generosity and the free sharing of plants and knowledge is the best insurance for this.

I want to raise an army of growers who want to Steward these plants: the ones that feel the plants "call".  They do call out, don't they (!) and I believe with all my heart that the cycle of sharing and education as to how best to grow these species will also spread as others who feel the same way also take up the work. (They are!  I see it happening!)

I can give away a lot more plants than I can sell, and if only 5 percent of those who try to grow them stick with it throughout their life, then I will have been repaid for my expenses in the way that is most important to me, and the rolling ball will stay rolling.

I want these plants to remain with us as something real and touchable, not just images on a screen, and wishful thinking in the generations to come.

I have preached this concept here and on other forums, and it will be  the main topic of my lecture tour in 2004.  (Yup, I have a tour scheduled!)

I could sell those plants, and lord knows I could use the money, but it is more important to see them well placed with skilled growers who will be able to reproduce and spread them.  Those people are priceless to me.  It's also important that all who do have them make the effort to teach the skills needed to cultivate them to others, and also freely share this material and knowledge in turn.  This starts a dynamic and ongoing cycle, and the result is literally a shower of free plants for anyone with the heart to grow them.  This is my dream which is becoming more and more real, and I am working hard to make it even more real.  We can make a difference in this one thing, if we all pull together and kick money out of the equation.

I despise the head set that attempts to market rare plants with prices designed to insure that the supply remains short, so that prices and profits may continue to remain high.  This attitude needs to stop, because the plants are diminishing in habitat.  "Progress" is eroding them.  Populations vanish yearly, and their biodiversity is lost forever unless someone somewhere has the plant under cultivation.  For example, Drosera occidentalis var Australis "Warriup Form" is no longer to be found in habitat.  All that stands between it and its extinction is the love of good men and women for this small plant, and their dedication in maintaining it, and spreading of it
to others of similar heart.

There are many fine and reputable nurserymen who do sell these plants for their living.  There are expenses in such a large scale operation, and in these cases profit is both needed and desirable.  Such nursieries go a long ways in promoting this hobby, and introduce beginners to the craft where hopefully they will be able to learn to sucessfully grow these plants without having to pay an arm and a leg for the priveledge.  Such nurseries produce and distribute on a scale private growers can never hope to achieve.  There is a difference however, between a reasonable expense of production and flat out cutting the heart out of those who love these species for being willing to take on the noble work of preserving them!  I want to see this headset crumble into the extinction that will befall the plants if this type of consciousness prevails.

In my private war, Forums like this one (which is mainly supported by Petflytrap, Inc.'s profits) are major weapons, as are the free seedbanks throughout the world. This season the bulk of my seed harvest went to support those seedbanks.  

Oliver, thank you for the opportunity to once again address this issue so near and dear to my heart.  I guess I haven't been up on the soap box enough of late, and some things just need to be said, and said again :)

I look forward to the day when I can send you seed of this species FOR FREE.

-William Dawnstar, "Tamlin"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 12 2003,7:31)]I have preached this concept here and on other forums, and it will be the main topic of my lecture tour in 2004. (Yup, I have a tour scheduled!)
I hope there is a stop in the Bay Area planned
smile.gif

Steve

I sure wish I could make it to the bay area, but probably not next year. Thanks for the interest though!

D. sessilifolia is a Brasillian species, but it is a fast grower. Most of the Brasillian species are not.

As to sources: they are hard to find. There is only one commercial grower here in the U.S. that I am sure has these species in cultivation, and I will not recommend him.

Outside the U.S. Best CP has some species for sale: the minimal order equates to 70.00 USD.

Allen Lowerie in Australia sells seed of some of these species, but reports of viability are conflicting.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that I can't help you further than this.

Hi Tamlin
I Thank you greatly for the talk
i have "heard" the call they call and have started to grow and try to preserve these and other jewels of the earth(witch is why the only diference between my room and a over planted green house is my bed even then...
tounge.gif
)
i will try from now on to grow only what i have the knowledge to grow or have help to grow
thanks a million
Oliver

Oliver,

That is a fine attitude to have, and as you become more skilled over time you will find that the plants will come to you along with the skills to grow them. I figure in a few years you will probably have some things to teach me, and I'll be asking you for plants ;-)

Hi Tamlin
I plan (or at least wish) to be in australia,newzealnd.ect
in a couple of years studying and preserving the endangerd plants
and who know i might be able to teach you old geezers a thing or two:D
Oliver

Back