What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For labels for cp/other plants

Hello:

I've gardened for 18 years now and have yet to solve the label problem.

This morning, my male cockatiel was trying to pull out a label because he viewed it as a fun new play toy. Outside, the squirrels love to pull out labels. Never mind what the unchaperoned children do!

How do you go about keeping a permanent label with a cp planted in a mini bog for example?

How do you keep your Tillandsia labeled?

I've tried numerous markers for labels and have yet to find one (including plain old pencils) that doesn't wind up being inlegible by the end of the growing season.

I am looking for ideas that have worked successfully with your plants.

I LOVE knowing the exact scientific names for my plants and feel quite frustrated when something I've paid a good price for no longer has a readable label.

Never thought of that. Looks pretty darn genius to me. Bet those would fit sideways quite easily on those little stake style plant stakes and they could be positioned under the rim of pots quite easily and they'd hardly be visible.

Beats taking photos and trying to keep notes on what is growing in each pot and then high winds or rains of Biblical proportions come and you're all messed up because you forgot which pot went where as you ran with pot after pot to shelter them only to have to haul them all back out of the garage the next day.

I've tried surveying flags and those rust out in the ground after two seasons. The other downside to these it that they come in neon colors and definitely detract from the plants. I've tried mini blinds cut down to several inches. Mini-blinds seem to work better than store bought white "T" plant markers but you can't write on them all that well with a pencil.  I've tried writing on everything to include the outside of the pot most recently with permanent markers... those fade in about one season. I've tried those specialty all weather plant label markers... those last a month or so longer than the standard black permanent markers. Pencil on those little white plant stakes seems to hold up best of all. I think I might just go and price one of those labor intensive looking label machines. Can't hurt at this point in time and playing "Mystery Plant" after the squirrels and chipmunks get into the pots gets real old after a while.

I use a paint marker - when I don't procrastinate.

Jim:

What is a "paint marker"? Haven't heard about those.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Aug. 06 2005,9:36)]It works for potted plants, a Brother P-Touch.
http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup19009.html
Ironically, I posted a similar question over here recently: Label thread

In the thread, you'll notice recommendations for the Brother P-Touch which uses "TZ" labels. There is a special TZ label that is specifically made with extra-durable adhesive and UV-resistant ink, etc.

I have a home & hobby P-touch now which I received as a gift (cheaper model that won't use TZ labels) which I would not recommend at all. The labels fall off after a few months (typically).

As for the pens recommended in the thread - I was unable to locate them stateside. As Laura mentioned, "Sharpie" brand markers fade in the sun and will not be there when you need them most ... aargh!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cockatielmother @ Aug. 06 2005,1:16)]How do you keep your Tillandsia labeled?
String and a tag for tillandsia, especially unmounted. Usually i'd just tie a very loose slip knot and put it over the roots, this way if it's cotton twine it wouldn't cause rot. Roots don't matter, they're just there for stability on Tillandsia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cockatielmother @ Aug. 09 2005,10:02)]Jim:

What is a "paint marker"?  Haven't heard about those.
The box from whence they came says, "Opaque Writer". Our receptionist ordered them. I think they might be found at office supply places.

Back