What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food for thoughts

What do you do with your pitchers besides showing your friends ,admiring the colours and the joy of success,sale and exchange?

This is not a case of plant protection but simplicity and survival.The people of Borneo notably in Sarawak's,Borneo Island.Trekking and walking over long distance may take hours or days depending on distance.The tribal people has an ingenuous ways - cooking glutinous rice with pitchers( usually ampullaria).Preparation -clean the pitchers,stuff with glutinous rice,coconut milk and cook ( steaming )...Eating by peeling off the pitcher as it is consumed..yummy
smile_m_32.gif

Especially ampullaria,disregard of colors,was chosen
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

so long as it is large.The whole of amp is rounder and easy to handle.. Although uncommon nowadays but once in a while small town native women do sell the speciality for RM0.50 per pc.(US$0.14)

ricedumpling002.jpg

--Moderator if incorrect please move this to another page.tq

Hi Robert,
I've heard about this a few times, but nice to see finally a photo!
Volker

dude... where do these people get these big amps?

Volker,do the tribes in Philippines use neps to cook rice or they use leaves:)

Clint.on average quite a lot of amp reach 3"-4" in the forest.What size the amp.in your green house attain on average?
biggrin.gif

like 3.

i'm talking about the softballs on vines we have all seen. amazing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I chatted with a bus driver on a longer trip in April and he pointed at a mountain, where he was playing as a child. They were drinking the fluids of unopened pitcher plants. He invited me that we go together to that mountain next time when I am in the area.
Rice gets wrapped either in Banana or Pandan leafes, haven't seen pitcher plants for that purpose yet. Then again, try to squeeze rice in those narrow N. alata thingies ...
smile_m_32.gif

We don't have any bigger species here on Luzon island.
Volker

Back