What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog Box

Hello!

So, I went out an I got an ultrasonic fogger for my terrarium, and it has to be the coolest thing ever. However, it did not work exactly as I predicted, so I had to think outside of the box. Well, inside of the box, really. I was inspired and made a similar contraption as in the following video, only using a tupperware container, some tubing, and some liquid-rubber epoxy, a funnel and computer fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgqxEU0sVc

There is a tube that goes from the output side and pokes into the top corner of my terrarium. It works beautifully, giving a huge spike in humidity at night that my highlanders have been craving. I do have one question though...

How long, would you say, I should leave it on for? One hour, two hours? I don't want it to run all night, because thats probably bad for the fogger, and also bad for the plants (the whole terrarium fills with a dense fog while its on, and I cant imagine thats good all night). But let me know your opinions!

Cj

A different idea than mine (http://massmorels.com/images/Plants/GrowBox/grow_box.htm), but I ran mine once every 2 hours for 15min. at a time. It worked great for keeping the humidity at 85% 24/7 in that size of a chamber. But after time the water build up was too much, which led to water damage inside the box. I guess I should've listened to my elders when they said too much humidity was a bad thing. Now I'm working with 70% days and 85% nights in the GH. Everyone seems too it..

Interesting. I'm not too worried about water damage, since my terrarium is a 29 gallon fish tank that I have adapted. The only concern I had would be the fog in and around the lights, but I don't run those while I run the fogger (Partly for the humidity spike at night, and also running both the fogger, fan, and lights trips the surge protector!) so I'm not THAT concerned.

Keep the opinions coming!

It might be a local climate think, but I've never found the need for a humidifier in terrariums. The humiidity always seems to remain high, as long as there are not too many gaps.

I guess I should have said this earlier-

During the day, the RH is around 60% max, more like 50%. But at night, with the fogger on, it gets up to 90%, and probably more like 100%, though my hygrometer might be a little broken, not passing 90%. When I get up in the morning, before the lights go on, its still at that 85%-90%.

Before the fogger, I would use a mister spray bottle and the humidity would jump to 80%, and then fall back down to 60% sometime after I had gone to bed.

Last edited:
Back