What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytrap after dormancy

Took my VFT out of the refrigerator a while back (it was in there since October (in the pot)), and it hasn't grown much. It is nice and green, and leaves are forming slowly, but the traps are just those tiny little pointy thing that never form.

This same plant sprang back last year like crazy. Is it telling me it wants to hit the Snooze Button a few more times? Maybe too much water all at one time?

Thanks, John

Sometimes VFT's can be a bit sleepy early on and the first few traps fail to form. It'll sort itself out.

Just do not over water the first month out of dormancy, tends to cause rot. My personal experience..
smile.gif

Small flared traps are perfectly normal for a plant just comeing out of dormancy, in a month or two it will be back to it good`ol self!
smile.gif

does it still hav trap if its dormant (sorry imma newb) or jus roots and nubs? wen does it get out off dormant stage? and should i repot it? and add less water the first month after dormant?

AzN, dont be sorry that youre a newbie!
smile.gif

We were ALL newbies once.
I started growing CPs last December(December 2003)
I taught myself and I researched books how to cultivate these plants,
you are lucky that you have found this forum!
Anyway, do you have a VFT, or are you going to get one?
I wouldnt reccomend a VFT for a complete newbie,
try a cape sundew instead (Drosera capensis, another bug eating plant)
The anwser to your question:
Your plant will get out of dormacy as soon as you give it warmer temperatures
and more light and water. However, a dormacy MUST be at least 2-3 months long. Prefarably 3 months. So December-March is a good dormacy period(Wake it up in March) A VFT will loose anthing between 50-100% of its traps.
It will NOT loose its roots. If all the traps die, dont worry. The plant will grow
new traps very soon after it wakes up. If there are no traps, do NOT
bin it. Ideally, reduce watering for the WHOLE dormacy.
Dont repot during dormacy, repot when the plant is about to start growing again(A week before it wakes up is good) You do NOT have to repot every
year, repot every 2-3 years. Dont worry, these plants are quite happy to
be squashed in containers. Try not to repot during active growth,
if you do it will shock your plant.

Back