What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorescent

Whats the best size, watt, ect for a fluorescent light?

would 2 15 watt fluorescents be enough or would I need More??

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]would 2 15 watt fluorescents be enough or would I need More??

That would depend on what kind of setup you have. Are you planning on growing your plants in a terrarium? What size tank would you be using? What kind of plants are you planning on growing?

If you aren't going for a huge setup (i.e. 50 gallon tank or something like that) then you'll be better off using compact flourescent bulbs. If you want to know more about using compact flourescent bulbs, feel free to visit my website. I use them almost exclusively on my terrariums and they work great.

Here's my website: Mitch's Carnivores

Be sure to check out the "Terrariums" and "Care and Cultivation" sections. Hopefully you'll find what you need in there
smile.gif

That would be fine. Will you be using this light over a terrarium? And if so, what size tank?

For a smaller size growing area that would work great, but if your tank is pretty big, getting two of those might not be a bad idea.

Im using a 5-10 gallon tank i'm still deciding depending on the size fogger Im gonna but tommorrow

if i were in your position i'd splurge on some Power Compacts and if you add a little bit of water to the bottom of the terrarium you probably wont even need a fogger unless you live in the desert or someplace like that.

i'm in the school of thought that says more is better, as long as spectrum is right and up to a point. i guess i learned that in my reefing days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im using a 5-10 gallon tank i'm still deciding depending on the size fogger Im gonna but tommorrow

Then I say go with compact flourescents. You can get them at any Home Depot or Lowe's for pretty cheap (you can buy a pack of four 23 watt bulbs for around 10 dollars).

If you go with a 5 gallon tank, one of those 23 watt (equivalent to 100 watts of light) will do the trick, and for a 10 gallon two of those bulbs will work great. You can also buy a couple of those work light clamp fixtures to put the bulbs in. They go for about 5 bucks a piece at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Also, I doubt you're going to need a fogger, unless you're growing certain types of Nepenthes. What kind of CPs do you plan on growing in your tank?

You definitely won't need a fogger for what you're growing. Just make sure you have plenty of light, air circulation and distilled water and you'll be fine.

Like I mentioned before, you should check out my website (Mitch's Carnivores) for information on growing CPs (especially sundews, which I grow a lot of).

Bigger is better when it comes to lights. You should be considering nothing under 42W CFL bulbs, IMO. If you choose to use the 42W bulbs, I'd use 2 of them.

I have 2 85W bulbs over my terrarium.

Sam

Back