What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorescent fixtures

I am looking for a place that sells a grow light fixture with a bulb for under 30$. Any links would be greatly appreciated.Also, could just any fluorescent fixture at HD or Lowe's work?

If you're just going to use 4' fluoro fixtures, go and buy a relatively inexpensive shoplight setup from HD or Lowe's. They cost between $7 and $20 for the fixture. Most fixtures marketed as "grow" light fixtures are inherently expensive-$50-150- and the main improvement over a cheap shoplamp is only in the reflector.

FOr bulbs, I'd use a combo of Philips Daylight Deluxe and 'cool' white bulbs. They're inexpensive and get the job done well.

I still think there is more value in purchasing a lamp like I mentioned before. Both in lumen output and in cost. Compact Fluorescent bulbs are more efficient than T8/T12 lamps, and emit much, much more light. Before I moved on to CFL bulbs, I used shoplights and the above bulb configuration. Now I use 2 85W bulbs and it is brighter, cooler, and my plants grow and flower more readily than they did before.

Sam

I agree with GaWd, I just purchased the bulb he recommended:

eBay listing link

This bulb is awesome in terms of both lumens and color spectrum.  The bulb is $14 with shipping, and you can get a clamp-on light with 10.5 inch reflector at Home Depot for about $9 for a total of $23.

Here's mine:
bulb2.jpg

Check this thread for more info.

-Ben

Back