What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers a lot

Okay, I know next to nothing about these plants, but I figure I can learn. However, one thing I do know is that their are way to many types to even try and start looking for one on my own. I also know that the native orchids only bloom once a year, do tropicals bloom all year or do some bloom more often? I don't have room for a large collection, so I'd like to make my first plant a really good one. Any recommendations?

Hi Darcie

The number of times an orchid will flower depends on the type of orchid you have. However, the blooms are usually very long lasting so you can have flowers for a great number of months throughout the year. Some orchids do only bloom once per new growth...like a paphiopedilum. Others such as a dendrobium or phalaenopsis will bloom repeatedly.

For a first orchid, most people go with either a dendrobium or a phal. They are commonly found and are not as expensive as some others. They aren't too fussy so you don't have to worry about doing anything special. A den likes an east window and well draining substrate (such as orchid bark). While they like humidity, they will do just fine in an atmosphere that is comforable for humans (in a house). Phals are similiar but you do need to be careful about not letting the roots stay too wet or they will rot. Both like frequent watering but must be able to drain well and dry out quickly.

Check out Lowes for orchids. While I think they take horrible care of them, you can get a den for about 11.99...larger pots are more expensive. And they are starting to carry a wider variety of orchids than just the dens and phals...I have seen some brassia there. However, if you see orchids with yellowing leaves and black spots, DONT buy! I have seen black spot disease on orchids there, so be careful.

Suzanne

Okay, their is a local store with them, I'll pick up one that looks to be in okay condition.

One tip, before you buy, check the roots. You'll know if they're rotted or not. I've made this mistake way too many times.

Mike
smile.gif

I have found more phals with rotted roots than anything else. I've noticed some vendors pack them tightly in sphagnum and they stay too soggy. I have about 3 now that I am trying to save that were given to me by an office mate. The leaves are dehydrated but I'm hoping I can get some new roots and growth. Never say never ti' they are 100% dead.

Suzanne

Back