What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering capensis

Okay, so my capensis alba has been happy in my terrarium apparently. It shot up a flower stalk, but it never bloomed. The buds eventually turned brown instead of flowering.. I wrote it off as a weirdo but now.. no more than a month later... it is shooting up another stalk.

Now what can I do to help its buds to flower instead of turning brown? is it normal for this plant to toss up multiple flower stalks at a given time?

Krom,
I suspect your plant is flowering. Drosera flowers often stay open only for a couple hours each, and during the middle of the day, so it's possible to miss them entirely.

And yes, they flower a lot, sometimes with multiple stalks.

Squeeze one or two of the dried flower buds and see if any TINY little black specks fall out. Those are seed.

Capslock

Krom,

I thought the same thing when my capensis shot up its first flower stalk. I actully missed the flowers opening and now every pot in the terrarium has about 20 seedling capensis growing in it. Mine also has flowered what seems like no-stop. And if those flower pods havent broken open yet you might want to try to keep them away from any other pots unless you want more seedlings than you know what to do with.

Ktulu

my capensis, both typical and albino, are always either in bloom or in the process of sending up a new flower stalk. i only manage to time it right and actually see a flower every other flower stalk. if your capensis was happy enough to flower, unless there was a change in conditions i highly doubt it aborted.

Thanks for your advice! As always... priceless information that I get from you all! Thanks a bunch!

Back