What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower

My D.spatulata is sending up a flower scape that is about 1.5 inches tall. How tall will it get before the first flower opens and also how long should it be before it produces seed after the first slower opens?
Thanks,
Dewy

should be between 6 and 10 inches tall, depending on exact conditions and stuff
The flowers will open as soon as it is pretty much straight up but be warned- the flowers can be EXTREMELY short lived- unless you check it out a lot you will miss them
(I have a clump of D.tokaiensis with 30+ scapes now and I think I've seen all of 3 flowers actually open, for reference)

You have it right, mabudon. I notice this short-lived flower trait with several of my rosette Drosera. My 9-5 job is gonna hinder my Petiolaris Complex cross-pollination program this summer I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong and my woolies are more apt to keep their flowers open longer.

-Homer

I'll cross my fingers for you Homer
biggrin.gif

And I forgot to add the answer to "how long before seeds are produced"
it can take a few weeks- look in the "carnivorous plant articles" for Tamlins article about (EDIT-whoops) harvesting Drosera seeds, he covers the whole process quite well

Not to worry about seed being produced even if you miss the actual open fldower, they set seed very well with no assist. Check the plants around 10:00 AM on a sunny humid day and you should catch the event.

Homer, I find the petiolaris keep their flowers open longer than most species. so good luck with your hydbridization work.

Not that Tamlin requires confirmation, but mid-morning is the time for the flowers to open. I have mine at the lab I can check in them. I cannot remember how much time it took before the seeds were ready, but I would wait at least a week or two. Look for darkened pods. Congratulations!

Back