What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flourescent lighting 4 bulb combo.

Hello,

I currently am using two, two lamp flourescent system for a total of 4 lamps(40watt), they are on separate timers. One lamp system comes on in the early morning, and then around 11
wow.gif
0 the other lamp comes on and they both run for several hours, then one shuts off around 5
wow.gif
0 and the last one stays on for another 4 hours, then both shut off.
The idea is to mimic the natural daylight cycle (although my lamps stay on longer than the sun) I just couldn't bring myself to flood them with light all at once early in the morning.

I know that flourescent lighting is the cheapest to buy, cheapest to operate and so on.

I also know that you probably won't achieve good red coloration in the Red Dragons no matter what combo u use on flourescent lighting.

But, I would be very interested in what's a good combination of bulbs for a 4-40watt lighting system that's been proven on other peoples collection. I am currently using 2 soft white on the outside, a 'lizard' light and another soft white on the inside.

I've heard of people using the 'Actinic' salt water aquarium light which is almost Ultraviolet, but not so scorching.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I try this?

As you know I have just bought a commen green vft - I do not need 'fluresont lighting'! I just wait for a sunny day and stick it out in a sun-trap and let it get.....welll.....errrrr.....TANNED!
biggrin.gif
  It works for me! My flytraps are already going a lovely red colour - Natural way is the best!
wink.gif

OK, this question comes up a lot. The terrarium forum is the place to go for real answers.

But if you want a mere opinion, here's a roundup:

Cool white only. Works fine, cheap.

Warm white. Works fine, cheap.

Gro-lamps (purple)--great for neps, not so hot for flytraps.

Exotic bulbs (for lizards, fish, aquarium plants). Works fine, expensive. May work best with a shorter photoperiod.

A mixture of the above in myriad combinations. Works fine, not so cheap.

I use 2 cool + 1 warm + 1 purple, and despite having a very low aquarium have not been able to overlight anything, even with a 17 hour full-blast "day."

okay,

Thanks for your opinion and advice; will also check on the
terrarium forum.

Back