What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flourescent and incandescent bulbs

Quick question (seems like that's all I've got lately
rock.gif
) Anyway, I've noticed that some of you on here have used the flourescent screw in bulbs in lieu of getting the full blown flourescent lids for your terrariums. I am going to be receiving an old 10 gallon aquarium which will be promptly turned into my new terrarium but has the incandescent screw in bulbs. Are there any pros and cons to using the screw in flourescent bulbs, and what type and size should I purchase for use in a 10 gallon with a 20"ish x 10" ish hood? Thanks all, I've been getting lots of useful information from here lately. This is just adding to it.
biggrin.gif

I think this is addressed in the lighting FAQ, but anyway...

the cons of screw-in CF (compact fluorescents):

Lower efficiency and shorter life (twisted design means a lot of light hits the bulb again)
More expensive to replace (the ballast is in the bulb assembly, and must be replaced each time)

the pros:

Easy
Easy to find
Fits in small spaces
Initial cost is probably less

As far as the 'kind' you should get, get whatever fits.  Because the bulb housing tends to be wider than incandescents, you may have trouble finding one that will fit.

I use them all the time. One of the biggest pros is that you can hang them by the cord and get them closer to the plants that you are trying to get light to. In the winter I use them for light and heat. The only heat I use is from the bulbs. So it's a cheap heat source.Be careful if you're going to use one in a ten gallon tank, it could over heat the tank. If you want to know how I set mine up send me a pm and I'll tell you.

If the hood holds two bulbs you may want to use one 'warm' and one 'cool'. This will give you a nice look and descent color spectrum. Also, get the largest, highest power bulbs you can fit in the hood. They should last nearly a year before they need replacement.

Joe

I had forgotten, but i know that the local hardware store sells a screw-in adapter that lets you use the small 13W compact fluorescents with it. That might be an option for you, if you want to go with the low-maintainence approach. It probably isn't the brightest option, though.

Well it looks like I didn't read as much as I thought I had. Especially since that Lighting 101 topic is on top of this list unmoving. Sheesh I need to open my eyes.
tounge.gif
Well, anyways, thanks for all the info, and thanks for pointing me back to the lighting topic D muscipula, it was very informative. Later all.
biggrin.gif

I use flourescent. I have some compact becuse they are (I think) more efficient because the can be moved around. I also use the reagular flourescent when I have many plants to be lit. they are also cheaper.

MIke

Back