What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floppy pitchers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 31 2005,11:38)]flying darn
That's pretty harsh language there. I hope my kid doesn't read it--funny, but I often don't give a flying darn about him, and he can probably say the same about me. Please mind your language Miss April!

If you type "dam" it turns into darn automatically.

Laura...

I heard several hundred acres of marsh burned. Which is a drag, because its nesting season, and I'm pretty sure that a colony of yellow-headed blackbirds, among others, nests there.

The fires were real hot. That's going to be an issue. Yes, there were Yellow-Headed Blackbirds there but that was the tip of the iceberg.  There were several dens of Red Fox that I can guarantee didn't make it out with their offspring.  The Great Horned Owl nesting boxes are no more. Several species of shallow rooted wetland species in the swales will be no more and the fires were so hot and burned for so long that I suspect the Drosera is toast as to the best of my knowledge, that's where the fires were started. There was prickly pear cactus over by the dunes. There was also a biological research station there where much is being learned about Zebra Mussels. I have no idea if that is still standing. The Wild Blue Lupines that were hosts to the Karner Blue Butterfly are pretty toasted too. I don't know if you knew this but they had Fringed Gentian over there as well as Sand Cherry.

Wow...I didn't know they had all that going on over there, plant-wise. I didn't know fringed gentian was native to this area. I've never been there during the day...just once at night to watch a meteor shower.

Marshes are supposed to burn periodically. I'd wonder if fire has been supressed in the marsh for a long time, leading to a build up of the fuel load...leading up to this big, hot fire...bigger and hotter than a normal periodic fire, and causing much more damage.

The plants will more than likely be back next year. They evolved with fire, even hot fires. I hope the foxes got out with their kits. Poor things. They caught the guy who started the fire, too.

Back