What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixed up my Cephalotus a little

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My Cephalotus was growing some slime mold on the surface so I scooped out some of the top 1/4'' and replaced it with fresh sand.

SandCeph2.jpg

SandCeph3.jpg

very nice.

Great looking plant, do you find that they grow better with sand as the upper layer of the pot over moss being the upper layer.

Um... Hello... Sorry, new in the hobby...
A quick question... I went on vacation and when I came back more than half of my Ceph's traps had dried... The plant is still alive anyway... To date a normal leaf is growing from the center... Pic HERE
Is this (the mass driying) normal?

Great looking plant, do you find that they grow better with sand as the upper layer of the pot over moss being the upper layer.

I don't think so. I think they grow equally well.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Um... Hello... Sorry, new in the hobby...
A quick question... I went on vacation and when I came back more than half of my Ceph's traps had dried... The plant is still alive anyway... To date a normal leaf is growing from the center... Pic HERE
Is this (the mass driying) normal?

That soil is way too wet. It also doesn't look like it's getting enough light.

I would recommend letting the soil dry out a little (not bone dry, but the soil is moist). I would also increase light alot.

The traps dying may be a sign of root rot.

I agree with wolfn. Is that pure peat it's in?

That soil is way too wet. It also doesn't look like it's getting enough light.

I would recommend letting the soil dry out a little (not bone dry, but the soil is moist). I would also increase light alot.

The traps dying may be a sign of root rot.

Yeah... Out of ignorance left it about a week on the water tray with my Dews... I corected humidity already...

Now, it gets about 6 hour of direct sunlight...

It's still growing BTW (the pic is about a week old... the leaf on the center has grown lot and a new trap is forming....

Back