What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First try at focus/DOF stacking (Rose part deux)

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
And all i can say is Wow! :drool:
This was never possible with 35mm, it is such a cool technique!

My first attempt, and yes plenty of visual faults...
I did the stack outside and obviously there was plenty of movement.
(just notice the halos)

But even so omg the possibilities
View full size for the full effects!!

Download full size image here (large image @ 4.5mb)

smrose.jpg

Interesting. I'd seen this discussed in a book I read on the OpenGL API, but I've never actually seen real images stitched together with the technique. Looks good!
~Joe

My reaction was as follows:
:0o:
:-O
:drool:
:spazz:

Joe, its very cool.... it allows you to use a wide aperture for IQ (image quality?) and still end up with an awesome depth of field.
But each layer needs to stack just so or you get the faults. (I dont know all the proper nomenclature yet LOL)

This one was a stack of 10 separate pics and there was an obvious breeze blowing.... I tried to limit any movement of the flower/camera... but I could visually see some motion despite my efforts

Thanks Liz, I agree :)

That is an awesome shot. Next you need to hook it up to a telescope and get some nebula pics !

The rose petals looks so 3d! Good job.

Thats a beautiful shot Av8tor

Nice I read about this on the insect forum.

It looks like you have a spider mite maybe? What's that little thread doing there? :poke:LOL

Thanks for the kind words
LOL, swords.... look carefully and you will see a whole family of predators en mass around the end of the thread :)

Different stack ( I took several while I had everything setup, the rest had way too movement)

Full Size Image (large download)

smrose4.jpg

This one is a little cleaner in some areas and a little worse in others

Av

What software are you using to stack?

Great pic.
Something I need to look into myself.

What software are you using to stack?

I used Helicon Focus v.5.1

Good intro vid:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJiEw4VCcYU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJiEw4VCcYU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Enjoy,
Av

Photoshop cropped and cleaned up a little
croppedrose4_hf.jpg

Last edited:
I love this technique - technology is incredible! :hail: :boogie:

Most of my questions were answered by the embedded video (thanks) - but still had one:

Can this process still work if the plane of focus is changed? With ultra-macro, frequently the entire camera is moved to get a slightly different focus point as adjusting the manual focus control has little impact.

It works whether you change the DOF by twisting the focusing ring or moving the camera closer/farther from the subject. The mp-e 65 doesn't even have a focus ring, only way to focus is to change the zoom or move the camera.

Butch,

You are having WAY too much fun! :boogie:

Glad to see it! :-D

That is one of those "Carnivorous" roses, right? Looks real nice, even if it's not!
Very nice PS work!

Back