What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First timer

• Thread starter Lidocaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    assume vft
L

Lidocaine

I just received my first VFT. I ordered it from this website and I would assume it is not very old. I read that you don't have to put the young traps through dormacy. I live in Wisconsin and I don't get much for warmth. It would reach in the lower teens in my garage and probably 50's in my  basement. I don't want to take the plant out of the pot and put it in the fridge if I don't have too, but I will if you say so. Also, should i leave the pot with the trap in water constantly? or should I take it out of the water a couple hours a day. Thanks for any help.

I think you could go either way on this one, but...

While I think your plant you got probably can do without dormancy this winter.  I think you will have trouble NOT having it go into dormancy. Right now, I would put it on a sunny windowsill and tray water it.  Yes, you can leave the pot in the water constantly, the plant will soak up the water as it needs.

I would not put it in the garage, as that will likely kill it.  Chances are the windowsill that far north will resemble the winter temperatures further south.

If you have a small window in the basement, I would move it down there in november (don't forget about it). I wouldn't water it as much, but I would still try to make sure it doesn't dry out.

With such a perfect basement for dormancy, I wouldn't even consider taking up fridge space for the plant.

Back