What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First moonflowers of the season!

• Thread starter moonflower
  • Start date
i officially declare this Moonflower Day (the plant, not the TerraForum user ;)!

the first flower! 1 hour old!
moonflower05_relit.jpg

closeup
moonflower05_desktop.jpg

not a plant, but she was helping me take pictures and posed so adorably ;) my Chloe!
chloe8-23-05_closeup.jpg

Cool, you have an Ewok.
smile_n_32.gif

one hour old? dang! it seems like mine never fully opened! :p

Do they come in other colors, as does a Morning Glory?

morning glories are different species (as in some are blue, others are red, etc), and moonflowers are in the morning glory family. (Ipomoea alba) .. but I don't know about cultivars :p
I doubt it

i want one! where do i find a moonflower?

prizmbatch- around here (long island, NY) you can find the seeds at any local nursery or hardware store, including home depot. the seeds are big and tough and have to be soaked overnight before planting them. i start them in peat pellets in late march and plant them outside when the frosts are over. they can be finicky to grow, i only had 1 out of at least 12 survive the first time i grew them but this year i've got at least 5 separate plants!

and jimscott, as far as i know, moonflowers only come in white. their main goal is to attract moths for pollination (white is easy to see at night), and i'd imagine any genes for color were wiped out a long time ago, since colored flowers wouldn't attract any moths. lol these things are devilishly tricky to propagate as they are... if their pollinators couldn't find them, forget it! ;)

I have a couple of seeds if anyone wants them. I can't guarantee they're viable though.
EDIT: they're taken

Do they scarification as do Morning Glories? Are "bindweed", which look similar also related to Ipomaea?

Back