What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire bellied toads... Fire bellied newts...

I recently purchased two medium sized fat, Fire bellied toads, theyre quiet healthy and they have each been eating 1-4 small crickets EASILY and with delight for the past week... I also added in two fire bellied Newts... I read somewhere that the Toads toxins can hurt other amphibians... I know all amphibians are toxic... just some are way more than others... But is it ok for the Newts to be in with the toads?

Ive got a 15 gallon setup, 75% water 25% land, theres two large flat surfaced long and wide rocks at the left of the tank protruding from the water where the toads spend most of their time, and the rest has earth colored gravel on the floor, with a small castle sitting in the middle half submerged that the newts hide in, theres one plant near the toad's land, and two others over in the water, the water is around 6 inches deep, and I have a FLUVAL UNDERWATER FILTER small size, it filters up to 12 gallons of water, and it is doing a nice job at picking up nasty particles, and the water is still VERY clear. I drop in lots of Newt food pellets, they use to eat them in their old tank, but now they get swished around... ovbiously theyre eating or theyd be dead. The toads get around 2-4 small crickets a day, and so far theyve been doing fine on that, The crickets are gutloaded on grapes, carrots and potato, and the water has some jurassipet spray vitamin in it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid-man @ Feb. 24 2004,18:40)]I recently purchased two medium sized fat, Fire bellied toads, theyre quiet healthy and they have each been eating 1-4 small crickets EASILY and with delight for the past week... I also added in two fire bellied Newts... I read somewhere that the Toads toxins can hurt other amphibians... I know all amphibians are toxic... just some are way more than others... But is it ok for the Newts to be in with the toads?

Ive got a 15 gallon setup, 75% water 25% land, theres two large flat surfaced long and wide rocks at the left of the tank protruding from the water where the toads spend most of their time, and the rest has earth colored gravel on the floor, with a small castle sitting in the middle half submerged that the newts hide in, theres one plant near the toad's land, and two others over in the water, the water is around 6 inches deep, and I have a FLUVAL UNDERWATER FILTER small size, it filters up to 12 gallons of water, and it is doing a nice job at picking up nasty particles, and the water is still VERY clear. I drop in lots of Newt food pellets, they use to eat them in their old tank, but now they get swished around... ovbiously theyre eating or theyd be dead. The toads get around 2-4 small crickets a day, and so far theyve been doing fine on that, The crickets are gutloaded on grapes, carrots and potato, and the water has some jurassipet spray vitamin in it.
actually, not all amphibians are poisonous, have you ever gone frog hunting? A freind of mine did, and got 4 frogs, he roasted them and offered me one. it was pretty tasty!!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
ghostface.gif

As for keeping both those species in tanks, i woulnd't worry. I have seen tanks with both in them before, and returned months later, they were all still there and healthy
smile.gif

Hey Druidman -

I have had a fire bellied toad and fire bellied newt in my CP tank/terrarium for years with problems. I feed them worms - it's amusing to watch the newt rastle one and do the Alligator roll. The frog spreads seeds around and accidentally transplants a few things - other than that no problems.

WildBill

These two species are often, very often, sold together in the same enclosures. I would say that they will do fine together, as long as enough food is present. They are fairly easyto care for; i have had a pair of firebelly newts for 5 years.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid-man @ Feb. 24 2004,15:40)]I recently purchased two medium sized fat, Fire bellied toads, theyre quiet healthy and they have each been eating 1-4 small crickets EASILY and with delight for the past week... I also added in two fire bellied Newts... I read somewhere that the Toads toxins can hurt other amphibians... I know all amphibians are toxic... just some are way more than others... But is it ok for the Newts to be in with the toads?

Ok, A few updates to there enclosure. Today I just changed out the filter in there fluval, I rinsed off the foam thing that catches dirt/crap/nasty/ETC, and then I put a brand new Black square small carbon filter in between the Foam thing which I cut in two, I pushed it back in, and there water still seems to be doing fine.

Also, Today, I just went out and fixed up my bearded dragon, cause he has either Calcium deficiency or Tombers in his legs, cause they curl up towards his chest. So, the store reptile master guy helped me out today, I got him a new 20 gallon light fixture that holds the Reptisun 2.0 long tube light things, and thats on nicely, hes got his basking light at 100W, He ate a live pinkie today... NOOOO... I didnt like watching it... poor little mouse... he squrimed...
sad.gif
... But, gotta do what ya gotta do. Anyways, hes got that in his beard right now sitting under his basking light, the store guy said he will swallow the mouse fulley once his saliva works on it more in his beard, The reason he had to eat a pinkie, Cause he went into Brumination a while back, and ever since hes been really skinny, The mice should fatten him up REAL quick.

Now, Back to my toads, As I was out fixing up my Bearded, I realized his old 10 gallon light fixture that also holds the reptisun things, Wasnt going to be used again! And since I know you kind of need a Reptisun light for Amphibans also (Says it on the box) I went ahead and did it. So now, My toads and newts have a brand new Reptisun 2.0 light, which should be suppyling them with more nutrient stuff through their skin.

I KIND OF ALSO HAVE AN EMERGENCY! The Fluval filter, great job as it does, SWIRLS THE WATER AROUND at a quick pace, The toads and newts love the swirling water, and they seem unaffected by it... Until it comes to the Newts food. I feed my Newts Jurassipet newt and aqautic frog food, their tiny brown pellets that they loved when they where in there 5 Gallon plastic thing, But there was no filter in that... So... Now... Im not sure if my Newts are getting Fed Correctly! Can someone please tell me of a alternate food source thats commonly avaible and that the Newts could eat cause it sinks... Even live food... ANYTHING!

Live tubflex worms are a good source of live food.

Back