What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding Wild Cps where i live

is there a possibility that i may have wild cps growing near me,i live in southern indiana clark county.is there a remote chance that there are any kind of wild cps growing in my area
confused.gif

Every state in the US has Utrics, though finding them is a whole other story
biggrin.gif

There may be some Drosera but I'm not familiar with the ranges of the US species so...

I am sure that a quick google search could turn up a few answers for you. Try entering a genus name and the name of your county. Usually someone has done some type of study on local flora

If I had to guess, Utricularia would be the only type in your immediate area. I would guess there are bogs along the L. Michigan shoreline in northern Indiana where you could possibly find Sarracenia purpurea and some Drosera spp. I know there is in WI and IL.

i found some utrics at a local swamp,they were the land growing kind.there was even the aquatic kind too.i will have the pics soon.
smile.gif

Thought this might be helpful

US CP ranges

Each section has a US map depicting ranges. It'll at least give you an idea of what you have near by

Pyro

very helpful website,but i stumbled upon a small swamp thathad a ton in it.i am thinking about taking some but i dont know..
confused.gif

CPSINC: As a word of caution you can go to prison and pay thousounds of dollars in fees for picking Cp's in the wild and more if you try to sell them. I would suggest just looking at them.

Travis

one question

this swamp is going to be bulldosed in a few months to make way for more housing.is it bad if i take some now and know they will be destroyed? or leave em be and let nature take its course and let them be wiped out???

Here is a pretty good stance on that

Wild Collection

My inclination is to say you shouldn't collect (or if you do don't go telling everybody.) There are always exceptions to every rule but I don't want to go in to them as that is just too volitile a topic and I do not want to be accused of advocating poaching because I was playing devil's advocate

understand i am no poacher,im just trying to save the plants themselfs from being totally destroyed.but i will try to get permission from the landowner to take some,i just want to save them from being concreted into oblivion.

Back