What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filiformis red?

This was given to me and identified by that generous person as a D. filiformis red variety.  Now that it has flowered can anyone confirm that as fact?

The flower.
filiformis_red_flower.jpg

The plant.
filiformis_red_002.jpg

Its' dinner.
filiformis_red_001.jpg

Can anyone  identify the insect?  I am curious as it captures two or three a week and is the only one of my dews that do.  
laugh.gif
 A poet I am not.

looks like a cranefly of some sort.

Rattler

thats cool! Wish my filifomis would catch something (and hold on to it)
tounge.gif

(Maybe not enough dew, that's why!)
biggrin.gif

'whadaya mean 'a poet you're not?'
wink.gif

Jason

Jason, I was referring to part of my last sentence, "dews that do".  
laugh.gif

I got too much sun the last couple of days.

Well, it's the plant that would ID whether it was a red or not.
I have no idea, as the plant does not look that red. Is it grown in full sun?
That aside, I think it's a kick-butt plant! Anything that can catch crane flies is cool in my book, and it looks very erect and healthy!

Cheers,

Joe

This has the more delicate look I have come to associate with the red form from Washington County, Florida. You will know more this fall if the plant doesn't form a hibernacula (although some individuals do make hibernacula) you may assume it is correctly labeled. I see no reason to question that at this stage of things though. Nice looking plant!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ May 02 2004,2:10)]Jason, I was referring to part of my last sentence, "dews that do".  
laugh.gif

I got too much sun the last couple of days.
Speaking of plays on words, was the fly named after Philip?

No, but as Tamlin said, with this particular plant, it's not always what it's cracked up to be.
Not all of these end up really red, and a lot of these will form hiberculum if the temps cool enough.
I still think it's a great filiformis.

Joe

I agree, it is a very graceful and beautiful plant and my favorite of all the D. filiformis forms. I find the color deepens as the season progresses.

My little D. scorpioides caught two craneflies...was really rather pathetic to watch them struggle.
sad.gif
I left them because I tried to rescue one from my D. capensis. I pulled it out...it flew up onto the light fixture. Later I came back to find it stuck again...it flew right back into it. I said to heck with it and left it. At least I tried.

Nice plant and photos Jan.
smile.gif

You did the right thing. Let them feed as they will: its all part of the Great Design!

Back