What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filiformis and adelae

I'm currently ordering a Filiformis and an Adelae and was wondering if they would do ok in the house.  I have read that they do fairly well outside, but the winds are really strong here in North Dakota......and I think that would be a bit much for them.  The relative humidity here in the house usually sits around 20-30%.........and outside is usually not too much higher  
confused.gif
  Would they be ok in the house if they got enough sun/light?  Or should I have some sort of cover with some holes for air circulation?

Also, I read that Filiformis and Adelae do quite well in pure long fibered sphagnum.  Is that better to use rather than a 50/50 mix of peat and sand?

I want to take the best care of them possible, and appreciate everyone's help.  
smile.gif
  Thanks in advance.

- Joel

I grow both in peat and sand. I also grew adelae on a bright windowsil indoors (not too much direct sun) for a while and it did fine. Adelae wants a minimum of around 50F. D. filiformis wants a lot more light though, or it will flop everywhere, but, depending on which subspecies you grow, it may be hardy enough to grow outdoors all year.

i highly doubt filliformis will live through a North Dakota winter. VERY few CP's will. im only a couple hours west of firewired and i cant grow them outside here year round, they would have to go into a basement or fridge for dormancy. i had a nice looking adelae but it recently went down hill as they are known to do from time to time. as far as filliformis, give them as much light as you can, keep them in a tray full of water and it shouold get enough humidity. they dont need 80% plus, 45%-50% is fine and a tray full of water should about get you there. im growing mine in a peat/perlite mix and its doing fine and flowering. peat and sand should be fine.

Rattler

Back