What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Figs indoors

Hey folks I bought two figs a Black Mission and Brown Turkey varieties. I want to grow them indoors in pots overwinter and outside in summer. When they arrive next week they will be 1-2 feet tall in gallon pots. I was planning to move them to 16" square planters.

I want to get them to spread into tree shapes so do I simply crop the top or will they branch naturally?

Is miracle grow + perlite 50/50 good or do they require something more exotic? Will they survive/grow on ambient room light like a Ficus benjamina or do they require more intense light? I'm not so concerned about fruiting at the moment just growth & foliage.

I have multiple Brown Turkey figs outside in the garden. I believe they need full sun to thrive. Even in our mild Florida winter they lose all of their leaves and go dormant and start to regrow around March. Mine naturally branch and I trim them to keep the plants about 8 feet tall.

Cool, so will they live 365 if you brought them in for the cold season and don't let them go dormant? Mine are greenhouse grown and in leaf now, did you ever grow some cuttings overwinter and put them outside in spring? That's what I plan to do cos our winters are very cold (-30*F). If I need to put a T5 HO fixture over them that's fine, I'm sure my brambles would appreciate more light too.

I read that the cuttings are easy to root?

Back