What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field collection and conservation

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, and kindly post a link to the relevant thread...

How does one go about field collecting for the purposes of conservation, and what is generally done to impact as little as possible the plants being collected, or their environment?

I imagine a big part of it is an awareness of what already is known to exist in cultivation, and cataloging what plants and variations exist in a wild population, so you only select for collection those genetic variations that are not yet in cultivation.

But beyond avoiding unnecessary removal of plants from the wild, what else? Would an entire plant be removed, or just seeds, or a portion of the rhizome?

(I'm not planning on rushing out to the nearest bog; I'm just curious)

I will just address the taking of the plant I will leave ethics and what ever to everyone else: Try to take leaf cuttings when ever possible. If not a couple seeds is okay. (Note- a couple not a whole capsule, only 4 Sarr seeds are needed, Take one from each of four different plants). When an exact copy of a Sarr is wanted you can split the rhizome in half (down the middle even if it only has one growth point). I recommend a dividing knife for this. Both halfs of the plant should recover. Only do this to plants with large rhizomes. Of for branching plants like flava and minor a small offshoot could be taken. For conservation purposes ask bugweed or Barry Rice.

The most important thing you need is permission to collect. If the plant is on private land written permission from the ownre of the land is okay. If it is on federal or state land you need to talk to the entity that controls the land (BLM, F&W, DNR, Parks, etc.) You will likely need a permit and have to sign some legal documents for these guys.

Pyro is on! 100%. Always above board. Saves on a lot of trouble.

I think you should think for yourself where that is concerned. And any plant in front of a bulldozer, is leaving the area with me. Period!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L @ Feb. 08 2005,10:06)]Basically, there is really no reason to collect CP from the wild anymore.

Barry Rice, who is an editor for the ICPS Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and a leader in the PFT forums Conservation Station has writen some great FAQ's about this very subject. Check it out:

May I collect carnivorous plants from the wild?

Why can't I collect plants if the land they live on is being destroyed anyway?

What about field collecting endangered pitcher plants?

Steve
Those Barry Rice articles are excellent, but aimed primarily at an individual collector acting independently, not at a serious amateur conservationist interested in working with the ICPS, NASC, and other conservation groups in legitimate projects.

I second that!!!!! Good point SarraceniaScott!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 09 2005,9:30)]I second that!!!!! Good point SarraceniaScott!
Yes, when I brought my S purpurea into work, one of my coworkers started asking me lots of questions about nearby bogs where he might find pitcher plants. I got the distinct feeling he might be planning to collect some, so I warned him that it was illegal, carried stiff penalties, and that he might get a buttock-full of rocksalt from Farmer Joe (if Farmer Joe were in a good mood). That changed his mind... I then told him about the naturalist from whom I got my plants, and how cheaply he could buy them.

He opted to go that route!

I second bugweed's bulldozer post

Oh course I do as well, but I have to clarify something. If the plant is on private property you do not need only the landowners permission, but you must have the states permission as well. When a plant is endangered or in a position to soon become endangered (threatened) the plant falls under the state (and finally the federal) government's ownership. Sadly they may not protect the plants from our growing communities, but they sure will take everything you have for it. Do not break the law to collect. Ethics are all important and when people are selected to be growers and collectors for the NASC they will sign a copy of the policies and a code of Ethics. Wild collection should never be for anything else besides conservation and then only with permission. Many plants have been driven to near extinction by collectors.

Back