What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

while grillin' dinner tonight, i snapped a few photos of the first open pitchers of the season.

oreowilli.jpg

oreophila x 'willisii'

boobtubeop.jpg

'Boob Tube' x open-pollinated

boobtubeop2.jpg

'Boob Tube' x open-pollinated, sibling to previous one

excellensperhaps.jpg

got this unknown off Ebay last fall, sure looks like an x excellens, but who knows?

leuco.jpg

leucophylla - yellow flowered

oreo.jpg

oreophila, with a flower that may never open. had a hard freeze on Mother's day, some flowers were killed off outright, some opened, but were malformed, many still opened normally, and there's some like this, that just seemed to stop growing. i'll give it another week or two, and then cut it off if it doesn't grow any more.

oreopurp.jpg

oreophila x purpurea

I was just curious if you have a picture of your whole set up. I am trying to get some ideas as mine are all in seperate containers however I am wanting to try and do something different. Anyways your plants are looking good.

Thanks

Chad

lol... boob tube. :p

Very nice sarrs!1 I want to get an orea x willisii.. looks nice, and I'd like to see what that orea x purp looks like when the pitchers are open. please post updates. :-D

Nice plants I like the oreo x purp hybrid in the last picture the most.

That oreophila x 'willisii' is very pretty. Does anyone still have willsii anymore? I am too new to know the whole history behind this cultivar, but was just wondering.

Chad - I'll take a pic of my deck in a few weeks, once everything is open. Should look pretty good then. I have 7 or 8 6-gallon tubs, 2 that are probably 30 gallon, and 1 that's probably around 60 gallons (that's just a wild guess). They hold all my mature plants. I have around 6-7 trays that hold younger plants that are in individual pots. I don't know what I'm gonna do with this year's crop of seedlings, as I am pretty much out of room, and I have probably 100 seedlings.

Devon B. - i'll definitely get a pic of that oreo x purp when it's fully open. It is a really nice plant. The oreo x willisii i have mixed feelings on. The pitchers are a bit floppy, all it takes is a hard rain and they are horizontal.

Dashman - not sure if there is the true 'willisii' out there anymore. I think there are some out there, but they're not the original. I could be wrong though.

Nice looking plants!

very nice indeed , i havent had much luck with garden plantings, whats the secret of the media down deep in the mini community pots, mine always seems to start to smell rotten after one season , are you re potting the whole mass each year with new media , isnt that expensive?

Very nice. If you post another set of pictures in the future please post another of your oreophila x purpurea pitcher. I'd like to see one fully open.

very nice indeed , i havent had much luck with garden plantings, whats the secret of the media down deep in the mini community pots, mine always seems to start to smell rotten after one season , are you re potting the whole mass each year with new media , isnt that expensive?

you know, i've never changed the media. i've always used a peat/perlite mixture, although i switched to peat/sand this year, and will probably stick with the sand from now on. i've never noticed any rot, although i do keep my tubs on the dry side of things. i think they can take dryness more than people give 'em credit for. the only time they are ever waterlogged is when we get like a 2-3 inch rain, which only happens a few times a year. i let them dry out between waterings, probably to the point where I would call it damp, where the peat will crumble if you pick it up. my RO only puts out a couple of gallons/day, so I'd be filling jugs all the time if I tried to keep them wet. i probably should change the media, though, in some of the older tubs, i think my oldest is like 5-6 years old now. I tested my RO water a few weeks ago (i happen to work in a water quality lab) for dissolved solids using the evaporation method - weigh a dish, put 100 mL of water in it, evaporate it, weigh the dish again - and got 12 mg/L of dissolved solids. I did our tap water too, hoping I could maybe use that, but i got 200 mg/L.

Here's a pic of that orephila x purpurea, 2 weeks later, as well as several others I took today.

oreopuurpurea.jpg

oreophila x purpurea

unknownredwhite.jpg

an unknown hybrid, about to open. I personally think Sarracenia can look pretty cool right before they open.

AFreadii.jpg

Evidence that Sarracenia can self-pollinate themselves. This is from an open-pollinated, antho-free leucophylla x jonesii.

alataflavaop.jpg

an open-pollinated alata x flava

boobtubeopenp.jpg

an open-pollinated 'Boob Tube'. This one reminds me of a goblin for some reason.

liw.jpg

Another instance of probable self-pollination. This is a newly-opened 'Ladies In Waiting'

liwop.jpg

And this is a newly-opened open-pollinated 'Ladies In Waiting', at 2.5 years old.

lovebug-1.jpg

'Love Bug'

minorleuco.jpg

A leucophylla x minor seedling showing some good coloration

purprubraaf.jpg

purpurea x jonesii - antho-free

readiicatflava.jpg

readii x (catesbaei x flava)

redsumatra.jpg

'Red Sumatra'

tapestry.jpg

'Tapestry'

wow, I hope my future sarrs will look that good sme day.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting the requested picture. :)

oreo x purpurea is very nice! I would like a division of that when you have one. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Back