What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizing Cephalotus?

I was wondering if anyone here has tried fertilizing cephs, specifically with an organic fert. through the soil.

I'm open to hearing about any other methods people have tried though!

I've had mine for a year and it's in a windowsill so it doesn't get very much prey, so, I gave it very diluted orchid fertilizer on the pitchers (not in) in droplets, not a mist, seemed to give it a noticeable boost but nothing to phone home about and inform the media. That's all the fertilizing experience I've done, never tried it in the soil.

I was advised by a friend to use diluted orchid fertiliser straight into the root region after the bareroot plant has been potted up. Only with a promise from him that he will send another plant (in case this died) that I went ahead with it.

Result: No harm done. And the plant, although having lost the older leaves and pitchers to being shipped bareroot, sent out new offshoots in about 2-3 weeks. Not sure if new plants establish themselves so quickly though. ???

In the past, I've sprayed my Cephs with a diluted orchid fertilizer. I didn't conduct any conclusive experiments, but it always seem to help rather than hurt them.

In the past I have mixed cow manure in with my peat,sand,perlite mix with pretty good results. The larger 4, to 5 inch plants did well, but the small quarter sized plants died.
Now I occasionally feed the pitchers with a few drops of diluted orchid fertilizer. That seems to work well. I do it about once a month, sometimes less. I don't want to overdue it.
JMatt

I forgot to add, please flush through thoroughly with water the day after. Not unlike fertilising Neps. :)

Back